• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

pod hotel

Same here. Happy I made one out of the corrugated sign board rather then spend $30. I've taken it out and looked in it out of curiosity and don't see anything. Rock and chaeto in my fuge are probably fine.
Luckily it was a gift from the wife lol didn't come out of my pocket. I can see mini starfish in mine and amphipods. I do appreciate the idea of it but I find i have plenty of pods in my display to support my mandarin and I never have to use the pod hotel to shake pods into the display to keep it seeded.

Salted

NJRC Member
I do appreciate the idea of it but I find i have plenty of pods in my display to support my mandarin and I never have to use the pod hotel to shake pods into the display to keep it seeded.
I feel the same, my mandarin seems fat, healthy and happy. I've never even bothering trying to shake out my home made hotel as I've never seen anything in it. I'd think you'd see something, right?

Idea; instead of a pod hotel how about just two rocks of similar size so that they could easily be swapped between the tank and fuge? Same idea and at least live rock adds more to the tank than a plastic hotel. Win win yes?

I feel the same, my mandarin seems fat, healthy and happy. I've never even bothering trying to shake out my home made hotel as I've never seen anything in it. I'd think you'd see something, right?

Idea; instead of a pod hotel how about just two rocks of similar size so that they could easily be swapped between the tank and fuge? Same idea and at least live rock adds more to the tank than a plastic hotel. Win win yes?
Honestly...just leave them in your DT. The whole point of the hotel is a safe place for them to live and breed protected from predation. having that as part of your DT...just as good. You probably already have them in your DT. Everytime I move a coral or a rock, I see them scattering about.

I'm in the minority who has a mandarin that eats frozen so I'm definitely less concerned about the pod population. I know he enjoys the pods and I see him eating all day but he comes right up to the top rocks everytime I feed frozen food and i squirt a little food towards him and watch him go after it. I didn't believe the Biota eat frozen but mine definitely does.

I'm in the minority who has a mandarin that eats frozen so I'm definitely less concerned about the pod population. I know he enjoys the pods and I see him eating all day but he comes right up to the top rocks everytime I feed frozen food and i squirt a little food towards him and watch him go after it. I didn't believe the Biota eat frozen but mine definitely does.
I’m in the same boat you are. Both my mandarin and red scooter eat anything and everything. I cut up clams and dropped in tank yesterday and my red scooter grabbed a piece and was trying to tear it up like a shark. I thought it was so funny I took a video

I’m in the same boat you are. Both my mandarin and red scooter eat anything and everything. I cut up clams and dropped in tank yesterday and my red scooter grabbed a piece and was trying to tear it up like a shark. I thought it was so funny I took a video
We got lucky then lol

This stuff???
Yes. This coral rock needs to be kept in the shade or coraline algae will cover it and it will lose the red look (but then it is also not as colorful in the shade or in the water).
The first picture is a piece in a new tank. The second in an established tank at the bottom right, Note that I liked to layer corals in levels for fish to swim. Note that pods can live and hide in the tubes or between them. I found they add more interest to a new tank and blend more into the background as it is established.lame angel.JPGIMG_0480.JPG