• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Pods in refugium but not in DT? .. DIY POD Condos

Sid

That's a great way to do it. What nice about it is all you need to do to maintain it is pick it up and shake the detritus from it ever so often.

I used to use a plastic bath loofah tied to a piece of LR. Make sure you do it after lights out, to minimize predation in the DT.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well just picked up some pods and going to HD later to get the stuff for the condos.. i think i'm going to make Six of them.. also going down to bay and get mud snail shells instead of using rubble

Nice idea ..I used to have those little green fruit baskets and put rubble in there.same outcome I suppose.But since you gave me that pink star polyp stuff and I let that grow over the entire overflow box,it actually is a breeding haven for the pods.I see them at night running all over that stuff.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
shipwrecked said:
Nice idea ..I used to have those little green fruit baskets and put rubble in there.same outcome I suppose.But since you gave me that pink star polyp stuff and I let that grow over the entire overflow box,it actually is a breeding haven for the pods.I see them at night running all over that stuff.
I like the idea of rotating them due to the fudg being a save haven for them.. I'm going to make a few tomorrow.. also i was just reading it's best to target feed the condo to attract them more in there. maybe with some pasted up veg flake food

Good idea. Going to head to Lowes/HD on much lunch break. My fuge is loaded with pods but not nearly as much in the DT. Gotta keep the green spotted goby nice and fat....

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I put together 3 of them the other night, it took all of 15 minutes. I just have to get some rubble to load them up with.

mnat said:
I put together 3 of them the other night, it took all of 15 minutes. I just have to get some rubble to load them up with.

Going to tropiquarium tonight. Send me a pm if you want me to pickup some. I could probably meet ya somewhere on the way back.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I am going to be at Trop tonight too, but thank you very much for the offer.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I should have said this some time ago when i got them Pods.. DO NOT BUY THE NUTRAMAR TIGRIO PODS! They have NO idea how many go in a bottle... web site says "contains hundreds" that's joke and when i spoke to the sales rep even he said they have no idea as the pods just come from a supplier ( I guess they just slap a Nutaamar label on it, No load on date ( only good for 2 weeks from being bottled I found out) and they don't even know the pods need acclimating from fridge to tank.. I found this all out from calling them trying to find out how many was supposed to be in the bottle.. also customer care is only for the retailer and no help at all .. I had to make a few calls to get the info i just posted

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yea, Sid's been keeping me informed on the whole nightmare he dealt with for those pods. He's been pretty upset and rightfully so.

But getting back on topic of this thread and the pod condos.... I bought a 2' wide x 25' long roll of plastic mesh that may not be exactly what was described in this DIY, but I think it will work just fine. I've been a bit busy painting and haven't had a chance to make mine yet, but plan to make a couple this weekend.

If anyone in the area of Aquarium Center wants some plastic mesh to make these, I'd be happy to share it for free. Just pm me with your phone number and we can work out a pickup date/time.

I may even have some rubble rock (it's been clean and dry for over a year) that you could have too. I have about a dozen or so baseball sized rocks that we could break up with a hammer and fill a couple condos. I've added a few pieces of this rock as filler in my DT and in my sump/fuge from time to time so it's safe to add to your tank. It might take a few weeks in your tank for it to start groing bacteria on it, but it's perfect for these condos.