• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Polyp Extension

grink

NJRC Member
I am running a fuge on my 120 gallon display. During the day I get little to no polyp extension. However, other tanks I see either adding additives like the Zeo system or just plain sump adding nothing are getting large extension during the day or lighting period. I get good growth and color, but little extension.

My parameters are all within range and I keep them fairly consistent. Is the fuge taking up too many of the nutrients that would otherwise encourage large polyp extension?

I had the same problem in my nano. Fuge and way oversize skimmer. I chalked it up to too clean a system. My other tank which I know is "dirtier" has great extension, and corals grow 10x better in there.

grink

NJRC Member
I have a blue throat trigger, lavender tang, scopus tang, eight line wrasse, and a few dwarf angels, none of which I have seen bothering any of the corals.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I have a blue throat trigger, lavender tang, scopus tang, eight line wrasse, and a few dwarf angels, none of which I have seen bothering any of the corals.

I will bet that the dwarf angels occasionally nip at the acros causing this. They may not do it often enough for you to witness it, but its enough to keep the polyps in during the day.