• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Pond fish gone

So with the warming weather my main pond which is 4 ft deep is now fully de-iced. The water us crystal clear and yo my dismay all my koi are gone! Big dead, no remnants, nothing ...I mean not a trace! These guys were 6 yrs old and well schooled in survival. I keep an aerator go allow gas exchange in the winter every year. My guess us a raccoon, but my dogs patrol the yard going ballistic on anything in their yard night or day. Oh well, but it still is a bummer, like I said 5yrs and at least 2 feet long.

With this winter it's been iced over except for bubble hole, and its 4 ft down. They winter at the bottom.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Could they be buried in the guck on the bottom….waiting for warmer weather?

If it was ice covered, how would a raccoon get them.

I understand that but as it got warmer were you able to see anything? Or did it fully thaw yday?

Yes as of today I can see straight to bottom, it's been iced over for the last 2 months now, do no I can't see through ice. I'm sure they were taken prob earlier but like I said my dogs would shred a raccoon and the lab husky had a sixth sense for unwelcome visitors. It was prob a raccoon but the number of fish, depth of pond, and weight of said fish is pretty bizarre.

grink

NJRC Member
Great-Blue-Heron-by-Mike-Baird-300x300.jpg

Heron would not be able to get the guys I have to big like 24+inches big. Trust me I've had heron issues from the getgo. Not to mention they are 5+years, so for fish.... They have like A PHD in survival. John the bear that trashe my hives in the fall killed a neighbor pet rabbit so DNR trapped him and sent him packing up north. Neighbor are highly unlikely. I really think it was a raccoon,I'm just amazed at the ability to not leave a trace or evidence for so long.

When a racoon decimated my koi, it left them lined up around the edge of the pond. Lots of evidence.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
That's really odd Pete. Do you have a cave or any place in the pond for the fish to hide from predators? I work on ponds and usually if it's a raccoon there will be some evidence.