• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Possible changes to monthly meetings

If you got the cash there are plenty of frags out there. If your looking for deals the best is making friends visiting tanks and trading stuff. And of course the forum. I haven’t got a count. But personally I have gotten At least a dozen frags either free or on trade from other reefers. And when my colonies are large enough I will surely be giving and trading as much as possible

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
If you got the cash there are plenty of frags out there. If your looking for deals the best is making friends visiting tanks and trading stuff. And of course the forum. I haven’t got a count. But personally I have gotten At least a dozen frags either free or on trade from other reefers. And when my colonies are large enough I will surely be giving and trading as much as possible

I am going to frag my main pieces in my main tank in the coming days.. nervous but I need stuff growing in the frag tank. I hope to trade & buy some cool corals this winter.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Have meetings at stores also helps the local LFS. Picking stuff from different stores around NJ is a good thing.

Stores may not want us in the middle of their "black weekend" that is peak time for the store where they can sell 1K or more. unless purchases come out to that..... not sure the retailers will apreciate that.... since a crowded store may turn away potential customers

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Stores may not want us in the middle of their "black weekend" that is peak time for the store where they can sell 1K or more. unless purchases come out to that..... not sure the retailers will apreciate that.... since a crowded store may turn away potential customers

The store owners are not there to be in the meeting. They would continue attending their clients. We will be in the back ground.
I have never been to a LFS that was soo crowed unless they are having an event.
I don’t think any owner would be against people coming in and spending money $$$.
We can thank the store by giving them business.

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
As I shared in PM I think quarterly is too infrequent, particularly since I'm new to the club and have met very few of you. Secondly, while I understand the argument that central Jersey is more equidistant when looking at the whole, for me it will translate into 100+ miles for every meeting since I am in far north Jersey. The reality is I will likely attend very few events if that is the decision, but understand the decision.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Why not alternate? Six meets a year held by members, six by shops that sponser the club.
We can reach out to sponsors telling them we have weekends in say Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sept, Nov. Let them claim a date and set up sales and such for a store meet.
Remaining months are given to members to volunteer for meets at their home.

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
Why not alternate? Six meets a year held by members, six by shops that sponser the club.
We can reach out to sponsors telling them we have weekends in say Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sept, Nov. Let them claim a date and set up sales and such for a store meet.
I like this compromise... great suggestion

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member

Mark_C always the voice of reason...it's sickening......LOL

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
@Mark_C your missing the key point. It’s not lack of host. It’s. as you go further away from the middle of state the attendance drops off drastically.

I.e. this meet with 5 people. Not fair to host or worth club buying frags for the event.

That’s a huge problem

We are trying to identify and solve it.
By either reducing frequency (supply) and thus increasing demand - Change from monthly

Or

Increasing accessibility for a larger audience thus increasing demand - Staying in central jersey.

Or. We can do nothing and just deal with it. Month to month

Last edited:

David@wegetkraken

Area Local Reef Club
@Mark_C your missing the key point. It’s not lack of host. It’s. as you go further away from the middle of state the attendance drops off drastically.

I.e. this meet with 5 people. Not fair to host or worth club buying frags for the event.

That’s a huge problem

We are trying to identify and solve it.
By either reducing frequency (supply) and thus increasing demand - Change from monthly

Or

Increasing accessibility for a larger audience thus increasing demand - Staying in central jersey.

Or. We can do nothing and just deal with it. Month to month
Do what you need to do to keep the club viable. If it needs to be the CNJRC to do so, it is what it is. I'm also exploring chartering a northern NJ, eastern PA, southwest NY club and have put some feelers out on R2R. If anyone would be interested in helping with that hit me up. If it ever gets off the ground would love to do some joint events with the CNJRC. Cheers.

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The main reasons I don’t attend meetings are my work schedule, distance and I don’t have a tank at the moment. My work schedule is done a month out and I have a lot of specific weekend days I have to work. The afternoon timeframe is pretty much a no go for me. Maybe switch up the day and time? I could also see doing every other month. I also like the idea of a pot luck or something similar.

I don’t have the answer to this problem and while distance is certainly an issue for some. It’s not for others. Food is a silly discussion as stated by others we don’t need to be fed by the host. Seems to me the issue we are missing is why is it with soooooo many members So few show up. Perhaps we aren’t offering what people want. Is it possible to PM the entire list of members and send a survey as to what they want or expect. Seems every meeting I go to. Is a real good time but perhaps what I like about them doesn’t float the boat for others.

I don’t have the answer to this problem and while distance is certainly an issue for some. It’s not for others. Food is a silly discussion as stated by others we don’t need to be fed by the host. Seems to me the issue we are missing is why is it with soooooo many members So few show up. Perhaps we aren’t offering what people want. Is it possible to PM the entire list of members and send a survey as to what they want or expect. Seems every meeting I go to. Is a real good time but perhaps what I like about them doesn’t float the boat for others.
Well said mr Sponge