• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Possible Squamosa Issue?

falconut

NJRC Member
Anybody have any idea what could be going on here?

It's a 2-1/4" ORA Squamosa that was added on 1/23. It opened fully from day 1 and there are no signed of anything picking or nipping it. Tank mates are Yellow Tang, Bristletooth Tang, Chalk Bass, YWG, Yellowhead Jawfish, Cleaner Shrimp, BL Hermits & Misc. Snails. It's under Full Spectrum LEDs. It seems to rotate a lot, ever day it's facing another direction. About 1 or 2 weeks ago, the mantle near the mouth shriveled, but the rest opens fully. Even looks like it may have a tiny white growth line at the edge of the shell, which should be good sign. My other clam is a 6"+ Dersa that looks fine.

Anybody ever see this? I've heard of pinched mantle, but can't find anything for this.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My guess is a byssal opening issue. HERE’s a great video that explains why clams die. The Squamosa have a byssal opening that “can vary in size and tends to decrease as the clam grows, probably because the clam tends to become bottom-heavy with age and doesn't need to attach as strongly to its surface.”

Good luck!

falconut

NJRC Member
That was an interesting video. I wonder if it was getting knocked over by the flow because it was too light. Since I put some empty shells around it, it hasn't fallen over. Maybe that's a good sign. It's only been a couple days. I have seen it's foot sticking about 1/4" out the bottom, but it hasn't attached to the bottom.