• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Possibly downsizing sale

Due to an unfortunate work injury leading to spinal fusion and some health issues stemming from that I'm in debate on downgrading my current 90 if I'm able to recoup some of the original investment would be selling. The system is a 90 deep blue with corner overflow with 40 gallon deep blue breeder sump with baffles. As for equipment.
Apex system with temp and ph probe and two(2) energy bar 8's as well as new n box break out box $800
Two(2) vortech mp40wes pumps $700
Two(2) aqua illuminations vega with controller $650
One (1) Aqua illuminations sol with controller $275
Reef octopus cone skimmer $200
Tunze 3155 ato $150
Six stage RO/DI BRS filtration unite with a lot of replacement resin $225
300 pounds live rock covered in coralline and various coral encrusting $400
Two(2) eheim Yeager 150 watt heaters $50
Mag 9 return $50
Carbon/gfo reactor $75 comes with extra gfo
BRS dosing pump $50
Custom oversized white oak stand $300
Tons of BRS two part dosing material
Now as for the livestock.
Four(4) jaws fish breeders
Pair of clowns hosting a plate coral
Lawnmower blennys
Hundreds of hermits and snails
3" dottyback
Six line wrasse
Peppermint shrimp
Cleaner shrimp half dozen emerald crabs
6-7" maxima
20 varieties of montipora alone
Long list of zoas won't name them of but about a 100 heads of gold mauls. Rastas,magicians,sunny d , red mauls,
Hydno,green nepthea,chalice,and a very long list of sps,along with a few lps and about 40 or so heads of ricordea. Now here's the thing. I am not and will not be separating this as we all know with the delicate systems you need all these bells and whistles to keep it healthy. So once again not separating nothing nada not one thing. Long story short my back is shot and I can't keep depending on my wife and friends to do water changes for me. It kills me to even think of having to downsize but my buddy says otherwise. Without the cost of coral and livestock it's well over 5k , $2500 for some high end electronics that I purchased last year stored for months and setup in my new home 6 months ago. Needless to say you will have to do the removal. Also WILL NOT separate and if I can't get what I want I'll just have to invest some money to ease to burden of water changes thanks to all. Ron

I hope you get well soon, did you ever think about automatic water changes with a liter meter? No carrying buckets!! My RO fills the RO container, and I have a pump to push the water into the salt mixer one. For ATO, I used a doser (BRS) to fill a 2.5 gallon container which sat next to the sump. In the 3 year since I have started the tank, I haven't lift a bucket to deal with water changes.

I wish I could say it was just the water changes that was the only problem ,it's just the icing on top of the cake. Just a brief history 6 months ago I had l5-s1 TLIG posterior fusion with implementation with an autograft from right iliac crest due to 50% slippage of spondylolesthesis and since have been dealing with nerve problems on the right leg. All my tanks life support is located under the dt which I have been able to keep up with until this past week coming down with a severe infection thought to be meningitis "thank god it wasn't" but had to have yet another spinal tap which is quite uncomfortable. I just hate to place any more burden on my wife who works very long hours in the corporate world plus care for our 18 month old and my broken body so I don't know what to do at this point

I do understand it will be difficult selling as a whole as I've replied in a few Pm's already, I do tho have some colonies of golden mauls from10-40 polyps $3 a polyp. Jedi mind trick monti about the size of a half dollar $75 , Miami orchid acro fist size $60,live rock with about 30-35 orange ricordea heads and a few othe sps $150, beautiful baseball sized cryptonite candy cane coral 50plus heads $75 , 1" orange or green pavona coral $40 each. Mint chocolate chip montipora about 4" $75
Very large piece of orange encrusting montipora attached to 20plus pounds of live rock with big piece of bird of paradise and other sps $250 their is ALOT more to list but it will have to be purchased with the live rock that is encrusted on with multiple other species. It kills me to have to do this and I'm hoping a solution comes prior to it getting parted out

The water changes are the killer part since we have a two stores home and all the salt mixing is on the lower level. I will have to put a lookout for a food grade tank to plumb an external pump into that can handle 15+ of head and then redo my plumbing to just run a hose outside to drain while pumping clean water back in. I think selling a few coral would def help the cost of these items as I can't ask the wife for any more of the household funds for this. I really do appreciate everyone's concern with this because I don't want to get out of the hobby as I enjoy it to much but after paying to replace a lot of the electronics due to a power surge the fish tank account is tapped.

You can definitely do the nitrate/phosphate removal system with the Apex that you own. Talk with Darren as others have suggested, and search other forums as well, because its a nice option to remove water changes.

You can sell whatever you got from my tear down. If it contributes to you staying a reefer, go for it. I can always give you more.

Ok so here's the deal, not getting out of the hobby but need to make some big changes to my maintenance protocol,no more spackle buckets . To do so I need to sell of some things to pay for the new items. I really appreciate everyone's concern and input. So what I'm looking for now is an external pump which I know nothing about and a food grade storage tank for mixing. Maybe someone has something laying around?

For mixing, just use a brute from Home Depot/lowes. The cheapest and completely safe. It's what I have been using for years.

As for the pump, a mag pump would be good as they are nearly bullet proof and not that expensive, I'm sure you can pick one up used.

Ok .. you are SOOOOO not allowed to get out of the hobby.

If this helps I would do the following:

Get a longer hose from your RO/DI to upstairs (you can store it downstairs)
Get a Brute container and WHEELS/Dolly (no lifting, pushing, pulling)
I use a MaxiJet since it has multiple purposes - first I use it as a powerhead in the brute to "mix" the salt - then I change the impeller & head and use it as a pump to add the water into my tank.

No lifting. No mess. No getting out of the hobby.

ETA:

I have THIS dolly : Link to Dolly on Amazon

I have THIS brute can (with lid) : Link to Brute can on Amazon Just did a good rinse with vinegar and RO water and wiped it down and it's been awesome.

You don't even have to leave the house to get the stuff :)

I currently use a brute trash can that I hook right up to the RO/DI unit with a float ,then pump upstairs with a mag 9. It just about trickles out with the head pressure that's why I'm aiming toward an external pump how's a pan world 40px sound? I want have something that's more of a permanent fixture instead of the trash can plus I don't feel comfortable with plumbing a bulkhead into the side of one

I currently use a brute trash can that I hook right up to the RO/DI unit with a float ,then pump upstairs with a mag 9. It just about trickles out with the head pressure that's why I'm aiming toward an external pump how's a pan world 40px sound? I want have something that's more of a permanent fixture instead of the trash can plus I don't feel comfortable with plumbing a bulkhead into the side of one

Is this straight up through the floor? Or along the lower floor, up the stairs, along the floor and into the tank? Shortest distance is a straight line.