• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Power Consumption

arvin

NJRC Member
Everytime I see my current bill during summer months, a chill runs through my spine. How much really I am spending for my hobby on electricity alone, month after month? I decided to itemize all the equipments that I use and come up with a chart:

EquipmentWattskWhHours/dayPer DayPer Month
MP40280.02816 $ 0.06 $ 1.73
MP40280.02816 $ 0.06 $ 1.73
MP10180.01816 $ 0.04 $ 1.11
MP10180.01816 $ 0.04 $ 1.11
Blueline return pump2900.2924 $ 0.89 $ 26.83
Blueline return pump2900.2924 $ 0.89 $ 26.83
Skimmer280.02824 $ 0.09 $ 2.59
Biopellet Reactor350.03524 $ 0.11 $ 3.24
LED lights3600.368 $ 0.37 $ 11.10
Radion1500.158 $ 0.15 $ 4.63
Chiller2800.285 $ 0.18 $ 5.40
Total $ 86.29

The above chart is at $0.128 per kwh which is what I am paying currently. Although I dont run the vortechs and LED lights at their maximum wattage, I have assumed at their maximum rate just for ease of calculation.

Does this appear close enough? Am I over/under estimating anything?

Arvind.

I don't know if that right or not but its not a nice number. I'm probably beyond that with the multiple T5 units of 8 bulbs each.
My wife has recently been complaining about the bill lately. I've was hesitant to ask the amount. When I finally did it really got me thinking of downsizing.

The Blue lines seem to be pigs...you can get more efficient pumps. And I bet a low watt fan could replace your chiller.

arvin

NJRC Member
Id be curious to know how much does your TV/cable cost ?

I have made that arguments several times before, LOL. I have also been blaming it on the old central AC for the high electric charges. Once I replace the AC, my wife is going to find out the real reason why my house is getting such a high electricity bill compared to the neighbor.

arvin

NJRC Member
The Blue lines seem to be pigs...you can get more efficient pumps. And I bet a low watt fan could replace your chiller.

I am ok with the chiller. It is only seasonal and runs only when the water temperatures hits 82. So I am not so much concerned with it. But I have to do something about the blue lines. These two pumps runs 24X7X365 so replacing them may be a good option.

I have made that arguments several times before, LOL. I have also been blaming it on the old central AC for the high electric charges. Once I replace the AC, my wife is going to find out the real reason why my house is getting such a high electricity bill compared to the neighbor.

I can tell you about 3 yrs after we opened the AC had to be replaced here at store and my electric dropped approx $400.00 a month during the summer with the more efficient unit.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I switched out the original builder grade central AC several years ago with a 95 rated efficient unit. The drop in my electric bill was several hundred a month. If you can swing the cost go ahead and make the switch as soon as you can. It will pay for itself that much faster.

My 3200 gallon Sicci pump uses 165w per hour. By switching you would save about $25 a month. The DC pumps out there probably a lot more.

I switched out the original builder grade central AC several years ago with a 95 rated efficient unit. The drop in my electric bill was several hundred a month. If you can swing the cost go ahead and make the switch as soon as you can. It will pay for itself that much faster.

Funny thing, we got a new A/C installed about 2 years ago. I used that time to strategically add parts to my system so that it would appear that our bill remained the same. It lasted about a year before I blew that out of the water adding different parts to the system. My energy bill is about $150-$200 more per month then ever before.

arvin

NJRC Member
I am ok with the chiller. It is only seasonal and runs only when the water temperatures hits 82. So I am not so much concerned with it. But I have to do something about the blue lines. These two pumps runs 24X7X365 so replacing them may be a good option.

I can tell you about 3 yrs after we opened the AC had to be replaced here at store and my electric dropped approx $400.00 a month during the summer with the more efficient unit.

The AC replacement is long overdue. The newer ones are much more energy efficient and the current one I am using is end of its life anyway. This is something I am going to look into right away.

At least your using LED's. My power in my apartment when using window air conditioners were astronomical. I hazard to say around 280 or more per month. I'm moving to a house in about 2 weeks in NC and I'm hoping with central air it shouldn't be too crazy. I'm taking my tanks but they won't be setup for a while.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Switched to T-mobile 9 months ago save $100+/month which should cover the power consumption :)

Paying a lot in winter to heat the tank. So I run in sump return pump which helps.

Switched to T-mobile 9 months ago save $100+/month which should cover the power consumption :)

Paying a lot in winter to heat the tank. So I run in sump return pump which helps.

I do the same. My system gets on the warm side, but I fixed it with my Apex and a fan. My heater is off for about 4-5 months in the warmer months and my 225 gallons are heated with just a 300w heater, except the brutally cold months when the back up heat kicks on via Apex.