• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Power head flow study

Shrug....

the past few years have shown to me that tunzes and mh/vho were all the rage for all the "tanks of the months". Lately it's ecotechs and leds.

For me- I will now happily seek out all the suckers selling their tunzes at 50% off. Moooohahhaha! (yay for me).

Gotta love the study given that it was run at an ecotech facility and one of the 3 authors was/is an ecotech intern.

and yes i am a proud owner of about a half dozen products made by tunze.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hawkeye said:
Shrug....

the past few years have shown to me that tunzes and mh/vho were all the rage for all the "tanks of the months". Lately it's ecotechs and leds.

For me- I will now happily seek out all the suckers selling their tunzes at 50% off. Moooohahhaha! (yay for me).

Gotta love the study given that it was run at an ecotech facility and one of the 3 authors was/is an ecotech intern.

and yes i am a proud owner of about a half dozen products made by tunze.
Hawk, that's because they only have 50% of advertised flow rate! ;D

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm even happier now that I originally chose the VorTech.

You have to give credit to Tunze though for their response to the study. At least they admitted they were wrong with their advertised flow rates and explained how they came up with them to begin with. With limited test methods available prior to this study, you can't fault them for being wrong. I don't believe they were lying to the public, only stating what they believed to be correct at the time.

I wonder how this "retrofit" plan is going to work out though. Will they offer this for free to anyone who owns one (maybe requiring you to ship it back to them for the retrofit as opposed to just blindly shipping out to anyone who asks)? I guess we shall see what happens.

This looks like a good read. I've always been very pro VorTech, but I like using both Tunze and VorTech as they provide very very different flow characteristics.

radiata

NJRC Member
It was a sad day for Tunze when they had to admit that they duplicated the test and had to agree with the test's flow results. I've watched the VorTechs since they were first demonstrated at the MACNA in Boston, and must admit that I've never been impressed. They just aren't as bullet-proof as the Tunzes are, except possibly for the recently introduced MP60s, which some friends swear by. All that said, I can't wait for the (used) Tunze prices to drop so I can stock up on more of them - I'll add a less expensive 6305 to my system any day over an MP60.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
radiata said:
All that said, I can't wait for the (used) Tunze prices to drop so I can stock up on more of them - I'll add a less expensive 6305 to my system any day over an MP60.

I am with you. I like that I can move the Tunze too where I need it to flow. You can not do that with a VorTech they just blow straight.