• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Power Out? What do You do in this case?

So now my tank is up and rolling and I have a few dollars invested into livestock and my power has just gone out and has been out for about 10 min. I started thinking about options for my tank. I’m wondering what you guys are doing or what “EQUIPMENT “ you’re using for these instances. I’ve thought about maybe getting a small generator I can use just for the tank. I can keep it outside right behind the tank and put a receptacle in that runs Only of the generator. Granted I’d have to make a cozy and dry home for it plus the installation of the receptacle. Not to mention go outside into whatever weather killed the power to start it. Now All that jibber jabber is over I’d like to see your ideas please!!

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I got one of those small generators at Harbor Freight for less then $100 bucks. should be able to run the essential things for a good while.

I got one of those small generators at Harbor Freight for less then $100 bucks. should be able to run the essential things for a good while.
That’s what I was thinking about doing. Along with building a hut or ventilated storage box to keep it in. And hardwiring an extension cord to a receptacle next to my tank. So all I have to do is fire it up and move the plugs over.

Do you have a controller? Generator or UPS being able to turn off non-essentials would prolong the life of both. For example if the power went out you need a return pump and maybe a power head, but not the lights, and not a reactor pump.

I picked up a 12kw generator and hooked it up to a transfer switch. The tank lives on two circuits I split as “essential” and “non essential”. When/if power fails, I simply fire up the generator and flip a few switches (one of which is the essential circuit) and I get the essentials. Heater, return pump and one mp40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk