• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Power out!!

Power just went out, transformer blew on my street! Not battery operated pump or anything. Will everything be ok in terms of having now flow. Going to boil some water if temp drops. Anything else i can do?

Considering the weather is good I imagine power company will be pretty quick to arrive and repair. You should be fine. During sandy I was one of the lucky ones in that I lost power for about 7hrs. During that time I had no flow or heat. My temps dropped about 9* but other then that all was well and everyone made it through just fine.

Ok thanks, seems like a squirrel is the reason it all happened, poor little dudes fried at the bottom of the pole. Hopefully its a easy fix.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you have to use hot water to keep your temps up use a plastic bottle. This way you can use tap water to keep the tank warm but not have to boil RO/DI.

Bob

If you have to use hot water to keep your temps up use a plastic bottle. This way you can use tap water to keep the tank warm but not have to boil RO/DI.

Bob

I was going to use ziploc bags but thats a better idea. Thanks.

The harbor freight $99 900watt generator is honestly a good investment for these situations. Besides keeping the tank going with maybe a small heater and powerhead, you can cycle them off and keep the fridge going as well, depending on the model. It saved my brother tank during sandy and ran their fridge for a few days. Also probably cheaper than 1 battery backup.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
John, I definitely agree with your assessment....especially if you are in a area that rarely sees power outages. I have a slightly larger generator from Sam's for $300, and it is the best 300 I've ever spent. It paid for itself in just the food in the refrigerator/freezer. This little generator saved my tank during Sandy. Ran not only my entire tank, but also my refrigerator, boiler, television and a few lights. There is likelyhood I'll never use this genarator again. So a great investment.