• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Power Outages/ Storm issues Today

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
How is everyone (and everyone's tanks) doing with this noreaster we're having today? I lost power from about 5:30-7 and have been running around trying to keep everything happy.

Is anyone else having issues related to the storm tonight?

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I haven't had power since 5:30ish. Tank was distroyed the other day so that's not a worry. My son has two monster size monitor lizards without heat. Reported to jcp&l as soon as the power went out. At this point on 45% phone battery. Tired of playing board games already

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Eric do you have power? The jcp&l outage map has grown. Every area around holmdel have outages. I am still without power
I lost power from about 5:30 until 7:00 but it's been steady since then. So sorry to hear yours has been out.

I had to leave practice early after getting a call from my mom telling me the power had "fried" my reefkeeper. (It was thankfully alright)

I do have a generator and a friendly neighbor who has a whole house gas generator that we can tap into if needed to keep the tank running (everything else is secondary)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Would it be right to assume the return pump is the most important piece to keep running? Curious about battery options. I have a computer UPS/battery but it runs for less than a minute.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Would it be right to assume the return pump is the most important piece to keep running? Curious about battery options. I have a computer UPS/battery but it runs for less than a minute.

No I would be more concern about the gas exchange (which yea a return pump could help with). I used a pc UPS on my 54 tank. I had my two Jebao wave makers on there. I would get about 90mins with those two running on normal settings

Hey guys for those who lost power please find ways to keep the water oxygenated(tank/sump) that's extremely important. go to walmart pick one or few of these and AA batteries they are in fishing department(not the pets department). Keeping the tempature up is going to be tough without a generater... find a way to boil some water throw it in a bottle and flow it in your tank, just keep replacing the bottle of water once it cools down. How many bottle of hot water u need? i have no idea u just have to gauge it. Corals can survive without lights for some time so no worries on that. Good luck guys!

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    117.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
If you can't boil water you can use calcium chloride in bottles. It heats up to 153 degrees. I keep a 50 lb bag just in case. I attached the video showing what to do.

I'll be picking up a few of those amazon battery operated back ups.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk