• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Powerhead vs Pump

I have a Koralia 2 powerhead that is generating some noise. I figured my options are to either get a new powerhead.

I think the Koralia's are ugly, but I am not willing to spend the coin on a Vor Tech.

Or I was considering increasing the size of my return pump, which feeds a locline fittings that split into two returns. Like a Y shaped.

These act as additional powerheads. I was thinking if I bought a pump with variable output, I could adjust the flow.

Any thoughts? Brands?

malulu

NJRC Member
in my own case, i pick power-head over pump.

Advantage of power-head:
- less heat
- less electricity consumption
- less worry (bigger bump need bigger return pipe to ensure it is draining fast enough)

Advantage of pump:
- since less man-made-objects in the display tank, it looks prettier overall

thx

I concur with the previous posts.

You could find a used vortech or tunze or perhaps just get a maxijet mod and magnet for now. You could always use it for mixing salt when you get something better.

Powerheads as previously stated are just more efficient at pushing water and can provide a nice undertow and a flow that is not as ponted something your variable speed can't do.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I will go with powerhead as well. They are quite and more economical.