• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Powerheads??

Hello again guys;
I just wanted to know how powerful do you think my powerheads should be in my 45 gallon tall tank? it's eventually going to have softies. Now I have an aquaclear 50 that seems to be WAY too powerful. :eek: It's good for the top but would not be able to point at anything without sending it to the other side of the tank ;D
What have you guys found works for you in the way of GPH from the powerheads in your tanks. Just don't want to over do it. but still have good currents to prevent dead spots . Maybe 2-3 powerheads ??? just one ??? 15 ??? just kidding ;D
I would appreciate it if you share what works for you.

Thanks

so I guess dispersment is the key? How many GPH are the 2s?
I do like the way the are so compact, but have never used them.
Thanks ;D

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
K2's pump 600gph. I had 2 K4's in my 75g with mainly softies and it was way to much flow. I now have two K3's and it is much better.

I have been through more powerheads in the last 5 years then i choose to admit.

I think FWIW that the more point sources you have for the flow in your tank the better off you are. In the ocean the water is constantly sloshing around in all different directions. I never really realized that till i went diving and felt my body being tossed around in the current.

I went from maxijets to seios to Zoomed power sweeps to regular koralias to controllable koralias. I personally think pumps that are controllable give you the best options for flow, they can go from 300 gph to 1400 gph with no clicks knocks or any problems. (Anyone want my two way controller and two controlable koralia 3's with a photo cell.)

Right now im about to take the Tunze Plunge as of our group buy and go with the 2 6055 nanostreams and a tunze nano wavebox. As for controllable pumps, tunze seems to be the best of the best so im going to give it a try.

Flow is one of the MOST important things in your REEF aquarium along with lights and skimmer, save yourself the trouble and invest in good equipment so you dont end up like me.

I started my tank last Feb. and began with a single Koralia 2. I found that one was not enough and got another one a 3. Gotta tell you for the price and size they are great. And the magnet mount and ability to direct the flow is awesome. Good luck and remember what they told you before research your purchase and buy quality, because you'll have long term benefits.

NYCREEFER said:
I started my tank last Feb. and began with a single Koralia 2. I found that one was not enough and got another one a 3. Gotta tell you for the price and size they are great. And the magnet mount and ability to direct the flow is awesome. Good luck and remember what they told you before research your purchase and buy quality, because you'll have long term benefits.
How big is your tank?
thanks

I am a big fan of the Koralia powerheads. Reasonable price, high dispersed flow, low power usage, magnetic mounts and for me they have always been quiet and dependable. I have one K2 in my QT and 2 K4 in my 120. Also have the returns and two MJ900 on wavemaker in DT.

it really depends on your budget and what you want to accomplish. i have tried to resarch this same topic on this site and also on reef central and it looks like there are two school of thought:

a) go with vortech or tunze - very pricey option
b) go with controlable koralia - still expensive option
c) go with regular koralia - not controlable flow
d) go with maxi jet 1200s, buy upgrade kit from dr. smith and foster with magnets , and buy wavemaker such as red sea wavemaster --- for $100 dollars you get controller, quiet pumps, maybe not the best inflow and flow out - but with 4 in the tank and the wavemaker, it is not that bad.

it is about $$$ and what you want to do. I went with 4th option simply because 4 pumps will eliminate a lot of dead spots in my tank and I have wavemaster to create some irregular water movement. also, what i considered was the fact that maxi jets are cheap to replace in case you need to. if i had money, i would go as other more expensive stuff.

The only thing with the maxi jet red sea wavemaker is that from all the start up and stopping you kill the pumps.

Vortech, Tunze and Koralias that are controllable dont stop and start up again, that would kill these pumps. They speed up and slow down but never stop unless unplugged. After buying all those pumps i listed i think i would have been better off getting controllable pumps from the start.

I forgot i also had a vortech and was not fond of it.

Guys but doesn't the Maxijet mod put out way over 1000GPH??? isn't that the same issue of blowing the heck out of everything??

I have 3 Maxi-jet 1200's on a wave maker ( The combo deal ). They are far from quiet! All I hear at night is the 2 out of 3 of them clicking on and off. Drives me nuts. Night use to be the quiet peaceful time after the lights and fans went off. Not anymore! I had the Koralia's and loved them but after about 11 months of them being on with no wavemaker they seized up. Both of them in same week. I never tried the vinegar soak cause when they were plugged in they wouldn't even attempt to go with the help of my finger.I think the traditional powerhead is a bit more durable. But if I were you I'd research a quiet one first

i have two k2s on the way. it will put me at 1200for 2k2 plus 400 from sump return 1600GPH aproximately 30x turnover) on a 55. have a small aquaclear 20 for the back of the rock so no dead spots. that's another ~120gph
i don't know if this is well over what i should have but hey let's go for it!

i hope the k2s disperse well enough as mentioned by someone else.