• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Promoting Conservation at the Liberty Science Center

Most of the members of NJRC know that we have a conservation focused' group. I figured I'd post here in the public forum to discuss our most recent event.

I just got back from the members-only event at Liberty Science center. NJRC had a table right by the gift store with a 52 LCD panel rolling a slide show depicting NJRC.

I really enjoyed my time but am so thirsty as I felt like when the people started asking questions it was non-stop. I proudly wore my purple NJRC shirt and of course we had to showcase the 5 tank-bred perculas.

Thanks to mikem for lending us his camera as we tried to take some cool macro pics. Some people even stopped by to ask about the camera. ;D

By far the kids dragged all the adults over by exclaiming "Look at how tiny those fish are!". We (Ed & I) used that lead-in to talk about how conservation is important and how NJRC is promoting the idea of captive-bred/tank-raised fish and fragging coral colonies. We got a lot of adults nodding their heads at us. As much as possible we tried to mention the website and have people come visit as many said they wanted to start a saltwater tank.

I also had a test-tube of baby brine shrimp to show people just how hard it is to feed the clowns. It was amusing to me as most adults gave me blank stares when I said "Brine shrimp", but immediate recognition when I said "sea monkeys". One family actually raised sea monkeys for their kids as pets and when I shared I fed these monkeys to 8 day old clownfish, - the mother laughed and covered her son's ears. ;D

Quite a few staff from LSC came by and asked about the club/fish. The director of the event was really happy to have us. I think we might have even convinced her to get a nano for a clownfish.

Anyways - i'm tired - but had a lot of fun. Can't wait for next year!

Thanks from all of us for raising awareness!!
Wish i could of helped! Work calls though!
Maybe next year...
Thanks again for your time and effort!

i barely did anything. magic did all the ground work arranging the calls with the director and getting us into the event. Then ed worked his magic and did like a huge slide show presentation.

The only thing that would have made the night better is if we had like a hundred of those clownfish squishy things. Even better if we had a pamplet detailing how to promote conservation (i told people who are serious about getting into the hobby to ask for tank-raised/captive bred fish!)

Anyways - i'm signing off. long long day. I spent 15 minutes driving one mile on 287 South. I never drove that route before at 4:45pm and I probably never will again!!! what a traffic nightmare!

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Phil's Clowns were a huge hit with the kids. It was really a great experience watching them look at the half inch 35 day old Clowns. Thank you Phil for bringing them.

It was a very rewarding experience. If you haven't been to LSC since they re-did the place in 2007 now is the time to go. Here are a few Pictures of the event.
DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

Go Phil, Ed, Bob, and all NJRC members at the Liberty Science Center!
Looks like you did a fantastic job!