• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Protein skimmer died; funds very low. Help?

Hello everyone. So, my protein skimmer died on me a few days ago, and too much financial stuff has been overwhelming me the last month so I currently cannot fork out money for a new skimmer. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a decent skimmer; I can give $30 (no, this isn't a joke, sorry...). I live in Brick. I have a 55 gallon softie tank with a 20 gallon sump.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Going to be much easier addressing the pump instead of the whole skimmer.
What model skimmer?
Did you open and clean the pump and magnet chamber?
What size pump is it?
Is the skimmer still under warranty?
Have you called the company and explained your situation?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Strongly agree with Mark.....fix the problem.

Start by a thorough cleaning of the pump. If that doesn't work, buy a new pump and you virtually have a new skimmer. It should only be a couple more bucks over that 30 you have now.

This hobby isn't cheap....consider a part time job to support this habit. :D

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have a small crappy HOB skimmer that is supposed to be good for 150g. Everything sits in he tank. If you want to borrow it until you get funds together I will dig it out. I use it as a backup. LMK

Its a 1st gen Coralife 65 Skimmer, with a modded needlewheel which, I must say pulls out some decent stuff for the low bio-load my tank has (softies, Black Molly, Occelaris Clown, and a school of three chromis, amongst snails, crabs and a cleaner shrimp). The pump gets cleaned every other month when I do my sump cleaning, the the cup is emptied/cleaned one a week. I'm in touch with Coralife to send me a replacement pump. I'm hoping they help me out. A few years ago they sent me a replacement double HO t5 fixture when I was running a 20 gallon nano with softies when the fixture died on me after only 7 months of use, and they were really good about it, so in high hopes. I'll be letting everyone know, but I may take you guys up on an offer to use a borrowed pump.