• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Protein Skimmer Recommendations

I'm looking for a protein skimmer to fit inside my Amiracle sump 11 x 7 1/2 x 14 inches. I also have to fit the 3 1/2" Rio pump in there too. 55 gal. FO but future within next month to include corals. Therefore, unless anyone else has any ideas for in sump, I'm looking for a recommendation for an Out Of sump protein skimmer that's excellent, quiet (if possible) , and not outrageously priced. Any ideas?

everyone has different ideas but one suggestion might be an aqua c remora pro (hang on the back) or even the Aqua c urchin - which should be small enough to fit the sump.

I've got to agree with Hawkeye. An Aqua C remora pro or urchin pro would be an excellent choice for a 55 gal tank. I'd go with the pro models, since they process a bit more water, but are not that much more expensive.

While we are on the subject, get yourself a better pump than ab Rio for your return pump. I have found this brand to be only fair and prone to failure, something you don't want with a main return pump.

Thank you very much for your advice DaveK and Hawkeye! Can you recommend best place to purchase Remora's?

About the pump...now you tell me, LOL. I already found out (the hard way) but thought it failed due to old age. Can you recommend a new pump too?

I purchased my Remora from one of those "big-time" internet stores, Marine Depot I think. I'm sure you can find one locally if you call a few stores. OTOH, a few mouse clicks and a little bit of data entey get the thing shipped to your door in a few days, and sometimes at a lower price.