• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Pump advice

howze01

NJRC Member
Hey guys, I am helping someone set up a 265 gallon tank (7'x2'x30"). I am going to build the sump this weekend and I am looking for advice on which return pump to use. I dislike Mags so I am looking to avoid them. It's going to be an African Cichlid tank (boooo, I know) so I don't need the crazy flow that a reef would need. Also looking for something submersible. Also, when calculating head pressure, if the return is split to 2 pipes, do you have to calculate double or is it just the height you need to think about? I should also mention that price isn't a huge issue. Just looking for something quiet and hopefully not a huge energy hog like Mags. Thanks guys =)

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Jonathan take a look into the water blaster pumps. They are pretty nice. You can also take a look at the diablo dc pumps. They are adjustable and don't use too much energy.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
For example a mag 12 that pushes 1200 gph uses 110 watts. A diablo 5500 that pushes 1450 gph max, uses only 50 watts.

I know there are people that dislike them but I have had a Rio Hyperflow 32 in use for about 10 months and love it. Plenty of flow and handles head loss well, oh and I can't hear it at all. IMO these are not your run of the mill Rio pumps. I have also used the Deep Blue pump with good results as well. Both use less energy then the equvilant Mag pump.

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
I've been using the Ehiem Compact 5000. Super quiet, which was my biggest concern. They have adjustable output and are very efficient.

howze01

NJRC Member
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've been looking them up and I have to say the Water Blaster and Diablo DC both look interesting. I didn't see on either description if they were both submersible though. Anyone know?

I replaced two Mag 9's with a Diablo 10500, and cut my energy consumption better than in half, i.e. 85w vs 186w. Having said that, I'm sure my heater is working a little harder too.

howze01

NJRC Member
Thanks Jim. Is the Diablo submersible? Don't think I would need the 10500 one, probably the 5500.

howze01

NJRC Member
Thanks Kevin. Think that 5500 will do just fine. Looks super adjustable. One (maybe) very dumb question though. The description says this: The vast majority of circulation pumps available to hobbyist are alternating current "AC" pumps (the type of power that comes out of your wall outlet).​ Does this require anything special to plug in? Again, sorry if that's a dumb question, just the way the say it makes it sound like you can't just plug it in to the wall...

Thanks Kevin. Think that 5500 will do just fine. Looks super adjustable. One (maybe) very dumb question though. The description says this: The vast majority of circulation pumps available to hobbyist are alternating current "AC" pumps (the type of power that comes out of your wall outlet).​ Does this require anything special to plug in? Again, sorry if that's a dumb question, just the way the say it makes it sound like you can't just plug it in to the wall...

It has a power supply, much like your lap top's so nothing extra to buy.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Not dumb at all I asked the same thing at macna. It plugs directly into a normal wall socket. It comes with a transformer that looks kinda like the "box" on most laptop charging cords, this is where the AC is converted to DC. You can see if in this picture.
8a7ydede.jpg

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I'm thinking of using one in my new build. I like the feeding mode and also the fact that it has a "soft" start where the pump gradually comes up to speed.

howze01

NJRC Member
There's not a whole lot of difference in price, I'd go with the larger one and turn it down if you have to.

Very true Jim. The total build is going to be pretty crazy. I am sure he won't miss $50.

Not dumb at all I asked the same thing at macna. It plugs directly into a normal wall socket. It comes with a transformer that looks kinda like the "box" on most laptop charging cords, this is where the AC is converted to DC. You can see if in this picture
Glad I'm not the only one!

Thanks for all your help guys! DC10500 it is!!

Now to figure out lights...lol

Would the Diablo DC 10500 Pump be adequate for a basement sump (about 10-12 ft of head) and a 180 tank? I know they are rated for 16.5 max head, was wondering if the flow would be enough.

Would the Diablo DC 10500 Pump be adequate for a basement sump (about 10-12 ft of head) and a 180 tank? I know they are rated for 16.5 max head, was wondering if the flow would be enough.

I don't have any experience with these, so take this for what it's worth, but Waveline has a DC 12000 (3,170 gph max at 19 ft.)that would be more powerful, and I think they are all made in the same place, just a horse of a different color.

I don't have any experience with these, so take this for what it's worth, but Waveline has a DC 12000 (3,170 gph max at 19 ft.)that would be more powerful, and I think they are all made in the same place, just a horse of a different color.

Funny you mention that, when I was looking up the pump they were also showing the Waveline right next to the Diablo.

Take a look at the Dolphin external pumps. They dont draw much power, are pretty quite, move lots of water and are built well. The problem Ive always dealt with using submersible pumps in a large system is that once you have all the pumps you need for return, skimmer, fuge, closed loop etc, you end up adding a LOT of heat back to your system. Add on your lighting and next your looking for a big chiller. I have a 500 gallon system and I use only 2 submersible pumps, a Mag24 for my skimmer and a Mag7 for my fuge. Those 2 pumps provide all the heat for my tank until the coldest part of the winter, and my sump is in my unheated basement. I really like the dolphin pumps better than most of the other external pumps.