• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Purigen in a phosban reactor?

Finally purchased a 2nd ViaAqua phosban reactor to use exclusively with Purgien. Is anyone else here running one, can you give me any tips/photos on how to set it up (sort of leaving the purigen inside of a bag) so that the little beads don't escape though the reactor?

Thanks!

I've been looking at these reactors as well and after looking at the purigen I have... I'm thinking the only way to run it in the reactor in the bag it comes in but that brings up the issue of the water just flowing around the media. Maybe a much finer sponge to keep it in there?

Hey Candi,
I have been running Purigen in a two little fishies reactor for some time, What I found that seems to work the best is I took a fine mesh,Like the bag it comes in, cut it a little larger than the plastic disk in the reactor then glued it to the disk. I put one foam pad on the bottom, then Purigen,the plastic disk with mesh facing the puregin then I stack 3 foam pads on top, screw on the lid. I run it so the purigen tumbles about 1/3 to 1/2 the column. If I remember tomorrow when I'm out in the garage I'll take a picture. Dave

Thanks Dave! I'll have to try adding a couple more sponges maybe. I'm also having trouble with it going back up the middle tube internally (for instance when lets say I turn it on after fussing with it and realize it's shooting purigen into my sump ::) ) then it sneaks up that tube when the power is cut. I think I just need an hour or two of peace and some towels to mess with it.