• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

QTing a wrasse.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Any special requirements to QT a wrasse. Should I be trying use pod condos or anything else out of the ordinary?

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
also my 30g Qt sprung a leak and I haven't fixed it yet - any reason I can't use a 10g for a single 2-3" fish?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
That wrasse should be fine in QT, the only reason Howze asked is some species of wrasses you do not want to quarantine (leopards) and some you need some sand as that is what they sleep in.

I think the 10g will be fine for one fish. Did you get the six line yet or is this an upcoming purchase? I would just do my research on them as they can be nasty nasty fish. If you intend on adding any other fish I would hold off, as a six line would be the last fish I would add.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
That wrasse should be fine in QT, the only reason Howze asked is some species of wrasses you do not want to quarantine (leopards) and some you need some sand as that is what they sleep in.

I think the 10g will be fine for one fish. Did you get the six line yet or is this an upcoming purchase? I would just do my research on them as they can be nasty nasty fish. If you intend on adding any other fish I would hold off, as a six line would be the last fish I would add.

Thanks for the heads up mnat - I had done some reading a while ago - it was on the short list of fish I **thought** I wanted. Of course now I am having second thoughts. As of now I have 4 fish in a 90 - a GSMC, a singapore, a hippo tang and a yellow tang. I had planned to add maybe 2-3 more (total) - I've already been told to avoid the false percs my kids have asked for b/c the GSMC will probably beat the @#$% out of any clowns I put in. Guess maybe I should avoid this too - the one thing I looked at was the compatibility chart on live aquaria and it seemed too suggest the fish would be ok - very torn now - I've already had enough problems with the GSMC limiting things and the singapore may be responsible for the demise of my zoas and palys. I'm not sure I want to add any more trouble makers

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
With your current stocking list it might be ok becaus those are all larger fish that can hold their own against most other fish. Most horror stories from six lines come from more peaceful fish (firefish, basslets, less aggressive clowns, gobies) but I have read stories of them going after bigger fish. However, I have also heard a very small minority of people say they have never had an issue with a six line and they are a puppy dog. Every fish is different, but the general consensus it aggressive fish.

I agree with Mnat, I added a six line once and IMO if you do add one,make it the last.But Ive found out the hard way is I wouldnt do six lines,damsels or dottybacks anymore.All can be very agrressive and not worth the trouble.also thgh as stated all fish are differant.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
The guy who has this one says it's not at all aggressive - he added a juvi pair of clowns 3 months after the 6 line with no problems and said he had a cleaner shrimp in there that was ok. could be sales fluff but certainly seems more trustworthy than the random kid at the LFS or getting something shipped from one of the breeding farms. My biggest concern was that I wanted to add a mandarin and I think that would be a problem but who knows if/when that would happen - I don't like the idea of QTing a mandarin and finding one from somewhere other than the LFS is hit or miss - could be years before one pops up. Getting an ORA that could be QTed b/c it will eat pellet food is a LOT of $$$ - not sure I'm that interested yet - maybe after the tanks matured a year or two more and who knows what my livestock will look like in 1-2 years. I think I'll give this guy a shot.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've tried 3 six-line wrasses and sadly none of them made it thru QT.

The first one jumped and went carpet surfing within a few days... so a screen or glass top is a must with them.

I learned from that and put a glass top on for the second one; who didn't eat much and never made it the full month of QT. One morning he was just floating for no apparent reason.

The last one I chose was a good eater, lasted the month, looked very healthy and went into the DT. Next day, I found him on the carpet, on the other side of where the QT was still setup. I think he was trying to jump back into the small tank he got accustomed to and just overshot it! :eek:

If you do take him, make sure you cover the tank! Good Luck Dave.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Thanks George - this is starting to sound like way more trouble than it's worth - I guess I'll give it a shot but I don't think I'll be trying more than one shot - A cover's gonna be a challenge - I have a hood for my 10 but the HOB filter I used is so damn big that the cover will never fit - I have a smaller filter from and old FW setup - I guess I'll be trying that to see if it works and just put a small sock with some carbon in there so there's some circulation - plus I have a air pump + stone that I use to keep things moving around. When I had the 30 I had a PH rigged with loc-line so I had decent flow but it's too big to use in the 10. maybe someone else will get there before me anyway and this won't be an issue ???
This hobby really does a bad job of making things easy and less complicated. I thought a nice reef tank would be relaxing and enjoyable. Instead this is easily the most expensive and complicated hobby I've ever had the pleasure of enduring, oops, I meant enjoying....

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
LOL, yea it can be a lot of work and stree, but it's all worth it IMO.

Dave, I have a few hinged glass tops that you can borrow one if you need it. You could probably cover 90% of the tank and still use your hang on power filter. Better than nothing. Just let me know if you get the fish and think you need it.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Well I took a shot and ended up with 2 fish. So now I have twice the gamble. He threw in a clown that was living in his sump. He said it was a maroon but it doesn't look like one to me - more like a percent. I hoped based on its size at more than 2 years old that it was a male and would pair with big mama in my tank. May be going to live in my sump until my wife lets me add a nano somewhere in the house :) And well the 6 line's there too.

Ok added photos thru tapatalk to try it and they're teeny-tiny so pardon the dupes. (can't figure how to undo them)
When in doubt. Good ole photobucket to the rescue.

8a15eaac.jpg

f328a704.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326521178.728466.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326521178.728466.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 14
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326521241.094358.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326521241.094358.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 14

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow! You like to take a big gamble.

When you say “percent,” do you mean percula?

It’s hard to tell from the fuzzy, dark photo, but that could still easily be a maroon……. that doesn’t look that small.

If you try to put this guy in your DT, have nets ready to try to separate and protect the two. I’d be willing to bet it is going to be a battle.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Yep... Percula. Damn auto-correct.
It's actually quite small compared to the clown in the DT. She's a gold stripe. I guess I thought all the maroons were. This lil guy is about 1.25", maybe less. She's 4"+ Thought was she'd either have a crush on him or crush him. Obviously I'm hoping for the former

Good luck with ur sixline. I've had one for about 3 yrs and haven't had too much trouble adding new guys. Just don't plan on any new wrasses. He killed a potters and a leopard and a vrolik. My red coris is the only one that he backed down too. sometimes I wish mine would jump out... Lol

Twisteds 180 Reef

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Not a maroon at all, looks like a perc or an onyx perc which has a lot more black to it than a regular perc.

kinda off topic - but you mentioned a mandarin. Unless you have an ability to feed it in the QT - I would not bother QT'ing a mandarin simply because it needs to eat live food (except the $$$ ORA ones).

and yeah that's not a maroon. I've got a female clown that is very dark in color like that. You will have to find a new home for it or try and catch your GSMC out and rehome that. Putting the two species in one tank is a gamble.