• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

QTing a wrasse.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Anyone ever hear of or see a maroon female pairing with a perc male? ... OR are they unrelated enough that she might leave him alone? I know. Both unlikely. I think he'll be happy with the accommodations in my fuge... he can host in a whole mess of chaeto

My roon shared his tank with a false perc and never bullied it but I don't think they were thinking of shacking up. They did share the big nem I had though

Twisteds 180 Reef

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a female perc and I bought a juvenile GSM as a hopeful mate. I asked if mixed species can mate on here before and got many replies that they can... so I'm going to say yes it's possible.

Mine both share my nem and although they haven't laid/spawned/"whatever the term is" eggs yet... I have seen them start to dig the sand out in several places to try to find a good spot for them (as my pair of percs did before). I think they're getting close to mating so take that for what it's worth.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Thanks George. I'll take that as good news. I'm not really concerned about mating but I do think that would improve his odds if she has kind of a thing for him :)

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
I've tried 3 six-line wrasses and sadly none of them made it thru QT.

George - Any signs that I should be looking for - obviously other than the jumping.... (I have that lil tank as tightly sealed as possible - not even losing any evaporation) anyway, the 6-line appears to be eating and water is as stable as can be for a 10g with 2 fish in it - for what it's worth the tank they came from was a 29 cube with a 10g sump (and ther clown was living in the sump)

Also, for any QT experts that may be following along, I know a QT is supposed to be bare but I have some extra chaeto in my fuge - has lots of bristle worms and pods - any reason I can't drop some trimmings into the QT so the wrasse can do a little hunting? Of course any unused chaeto would be pulled and tossed - not going back to my DT system. I just want to be sure that it won't provide refuge for any "baddies" that may be lurking and set back the QT process.... I assume that letting a DT fallow if there had been a problem would still have chaeto, pods and any CUC/inverts so my guess is that chaeto would be fine to add but at the same time a QT is supposed to be "bare" so I thought I'd ask

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
well, the 6-line went carpet surfing – it happened while I was doing a swap of the QT tank – ironically to give the wrasse more room while it was stuck in there. I don’t know how long it was out because I found it on the ground, just by dumb luck. It couldn’t have been more than about 5 minutes but no idea how much less. I had taken the outgoing QT's lid off and then wiped out the new QT - it was in that time. When I found it, it was still and I thought it was dead -- when I dropped it back into the water it just sort of floated upside down - then after about 90 seconds in the water it was moving around but it had some dirt in the mucus coating and was swimming upside down. All bad signs but still alive. It made it through the night and this morning was still sort of hanging in a corner under a PVC elbow that’s in there for hiding. It was breathing and eyes were responsive to movement so I will continue to hope it’s ok but I was wondering if there is anything I should do to boost its strength at this point?

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Make shift pod condos

it was touch and go with the wrasse after the surfing incident and it was slow to eat - I tried the only way I could to harvest some pods from my DT - I took them out of the filter sock - yes, a nasty duty but I dumped in 20-30 and the wrasse was all over them - that seemed to trigger things and its back to eating whatever I put in, but clearly it prefers live pods. So I tried a take on the pod condos I've seen posted on RC (and I think here) and figured I'd see what happened. Since I can't put the "vehicle" back in my DT system after it goes in the QT I didn't want to use the condos that utilized live rock because I thought it would be too messy and a waste since that rock would have to completely die after each use before it could be added back to my fuge and re-colonized. So I decided to use some plastic scrubbies – the ones used to scour pots. I picked up a 6 pack at the supermarket by work for something like $0.59. Cheaper than the turkey baster. I soaked them in RO/Di for about 48 hours. Next problem was that they floated – so I anchored them down with a small piece of LR rubble and a rubber band. (Figured if it’s ok to use them for frags, must be ok for this). After a sold week, I had nothing in them – maybe 1-2 pods but I would guess that’s more of a coincidence. So I went back with what worked before – I put one in my filtersock and after 2 days it was loaded with little bugs. 1 Wrasse buffet, to go please. I pulled off the sock and put the sponge in a clear container – there were still lots of pods in the sock and I did my best to pluck some out and drop them in the container. There was also some “yuck” stuck ion the sponge but nothing that I couldn’t cleat from the QT at the next water change. So into the QT went the sponge – the pods began to flea out of the sponge as soon as it hit the water and the wrasse had a field day – a success. Now I’m not sure if I’d be able to QT a Mandarin that won’t take any prepared foods but at least I feel like it’s worth a try….