• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Quarantine tank ?'s

I have a 20gal high nano w/ sump that I was gonna sell. Instead I'm thinking I'll make it my quarantine. My question is this. Does a proper fish quarantine have to be medicated? The reason I ask is I am Also considering QT'n all coral from here out also. Basically I want to start the tank as a fish QT, then when my tank is stocked, continue using as a coral QT. If I medicate obviously that is not gonna happen. What are the thoughts here.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A QT tank is for observation of new specimens to make sure they are healthy and eating. Once you add medication it then becomes a hospital tank, it is best if the two are kept separate. If you do by chance need to treat an new fish/coral then move it to another set up.

Cool that's what I was hoping for. I wanted to be able to do them together. Thx for the clarification.

I have seen so many people tell me that they QT their fish in medicated water... IMO like said above it is not a QT at all.

Look at it this way!....

When a doctor give you antibiotics for an infection and then you stop taking them before you should cause you feel fine... Then BAM infection is back. That is exactly what some people do with fish.

They buy a fish from a LFS that does not keep good care of their animals. They put them in a medicated tank and the fish looks great! Then they decide to put that fish in their DT and WHAP! there is the ick or other stuff.

Now if that same fish was placed into a real QT (non-medicated). You would have then seen the fish get sick, which is fine cause it was already sick. Then you would place that fish into the medicated tank and treat it properly. Then after the medicated tank, back into the QT to make sure that it is healed.

I learned the QT stuff the hard way!!!

Anthony, reading about your problem is part of the reason I'm exploring this. That and the redbugs, nudis I got. I've never QT'd before.

While it may be a pain to actually have 2 tanks other than the DT. It is needed IMO. I am lucky enough to have a room that is about 10X15 where my sump is that I can put anything I want there in my basement.

I am not going to rush again to just put fish in my DT. If I do again, then I deserve what I get.

I did add my new Clowns right to my DT, but they are tank bred animals and never saw any type of fish from outside the breeding tanks. So i am pretty confident that they are clean....