• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Question About Substrate

So I'm in the process of setting up a new tank and Its probably going to be my first so tank. For substrate though I was thinking about using caribsea Fiji pink sand but I'm worried about it getting kicked up everywhere. I would go with the more course sand like special grade but I have a melanarus wrasse and I'd like to think he prefers the softer sand? Is this a bad idea to use this sand with a descent flow tank? Thanks

With the right powerhead placement, the sand shouldn't blow around too much after the dust filters out. I do prefer the special grade sand in high flow tanks as it allows higher flow nearer the sand bed which is helpful. The wrasses will be fine in and sand that's not crushed coral size. I've kept melanurus' in special grade sand many times.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Special grade is good. I had it in my first tank. You might want to consider Tropic Eden. I like the Tonga Special Pink. I have a few bags that I got from @Premiumaq

Substrates (gravel) | Premium Aquatics

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Whoops I meant to say first sps tank*** that's why I would have a bit higher flow. And thank you for the suggestions , I'll look at tropic Eden once I go on break. I just like the fiji pink because I can get it at wholesale price which is always nice

I also like to blend sand sizes. I use a mix that's primarily special grade (like 2 to 1) with a finer sand and a few scoops of crushed coral. Looks more natural to me and the fine stuff gets held in place by the coarser stuff. Burrowing critters appreciate the diversity of textures for building

I also like to blend sand sizes. I use a mix that's primarily special grade (like 2 to 1) with a finer sand and a few scoops of crushed coral. Looks more natural to me and the fine stuff gets held in place by the coarser stuff. Burrowing critters appreciate the diversity of textures for building

Hmm that's interesting, I may try half special grade and half fiji

Tropic Eden reef flake is by far the best and cleanest sand I've come across.
Small enough for Gobies to sift and wrasses to borrow while still large enough to not get kicked up.
Only downfall is that PA is often out of stock and you end up on a withing list.

If you have time then it's worth waiting.
If not the fiji pink is a good runner up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I’m using crystal reef white argonite sand. They sell on eBay, but are in Manchester NJ. I was able to meet their driver on the way to work at a GSP rest stop. My had it delivered right to his house. It’s a fine white sand, really pretty. It only gets stirred up if I turn the both MP40s up to 100%. The two MP10s can’t sit it up.