• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Question on a start up

I haven't done a sump setup before so it's a little learning and some help. I just got everything set up in the display and in the sump . Should I have my skimmer running durning my cycle process or leave it off . I could use some advise on how everybody cycled their tank using a sump ?

I haven't done a sump setup before so it's a little learning and some help. I just got everything set up in the display and in the sump . Should I have my skimmer running durning my cycle process or leave it off . I could use some advise on how everybody cycled their tank using a sump ?

I think I left my skimmer off for awhile while cycling. Mine took exactly 1 month and I think towards the end I turned it on to start "breaking it in".

I cycled my tank by putting 2 pieces of uncooked shrimp on my net and just let it decay away in the tank.

Sump or no sump, cycles are all the same, long and annoying lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

If you're cycling a brand new system, you would not run your skimmer, as Sobo suggested. You'll start it up later after you begin feeding livestock, etc.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Best way to do it is to get some media from an established tank. Then start with very light load.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 2

I'll throw my train of thought in. When I cycled my tank I ran my skimmer but I let it drain right back I to the tank. I have a in sump skimmer though my thought process was that I could let the skimmer have a break in period without interrupting the cycle.

I would add sand before you start everything, depending on what kind of sand you throw in there it might help jump start the cycle too

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

In theory you want to cycle with rock and sand in place. You could start without it and add during it. You could even add it later, but you may or may not experience another cycle. I've removed and replaced a sandbed in my old nano and had no issues. I heard of others having nothing but problems in their system after doing the same.

I was thinking of useing half live sand and half dry keep the cost down a little or is that a bad idea . And when determining how much to buy do I consider my sump with my Dt

Mixing live and dry sand isn't an issue eventually it will all become live. To determine sand depth use your DT dimensions only (LxW)

Remember to feed the tank a pinch of food every couple of days to help feed the bacteria that's growing.