• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Question on Hard Wood Flooring

Hello,

I am planning to getting hard wood floor for my dining room and living room and was wondering approximately how would the labor cost to get a 20’ X 25’ and a 15’ X 20’ room done. And possibly looking for someone or suggestion on which place is good….thanks. I'm in Old Bridge NJ. Your advice is appreciated. ;D

-Sam

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Consider bamboo…it’s a green building choice and is solid wood through and through. Most other floors today are laminates and don’t hold up well to water and wear. They actually make a bamboo that looks like other typically woods. Check it out, you wouldn’t be disappointed….and mikem is your man!

Pergo or laminate floors are messy with any water that might stand on it. The bamboo floors are really cool and a great green idea I second rfbf idea.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sam.
The labor for 800 SF of 3/4" prefinished Oak is about $1800. That's if the width of the oak are 3 1/2" or less.
Labor for Pergo or something similar is about $1500 for 800SF.
This is a guesstamit. Not knowing all the extra cutting to get around things, can change the price.
You can also go to HD and look in their hardwood flooring aisle for a price for their installs(which I don't recommend). I think their price was between $4 and $7 SF. So $4 X 800SF = $3200.
PM me if you have any questions.

thanks everyone. Mike will be dropping by today and help out today. So we'll definetly talk more today.

I thought Pergo look pretty good on the commercial but doesn't seems to go too well with the tank as JRWOHLER mention that it'll be a mess. I'm pretty sure my wife don't want laminate and might decide to go with bamboo but that'll let her decide :) Thanks everyone!!! really appreciate it.

The laminate doesn't hold up as badly as you think. We purchased Empire (yeah I know) laminate about a year ago and the tank was dropped on it a few months after. I've done A LOT of spilling on the floor and so far so good. The only issue was when the dog had an accident on it and it almost instantly bowed. So, from my experience ... if the water is on the cold side <80-90 F then it's fine for quite some time, but if the water/liquid is hot then you have a problem.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey duijver. Thanks for the heads up. I never had any problems having to repair laminate floors from water damage.If I ever get a call about one bowing, I'll tell the customer to put a fan next to it to bring the temp. down. ;D