• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Quick ID

101_0054.jpg

Anyone?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
REEFLECTIONS said:
and if you're talking about the other thing in the pic..... the thing the crab is on, it's calle live rock ;D

NO! NO! NO! He's talking about all those little blue/purple dots. I'm going to out on a limb and guess that that's coralline algae...the purple varity. I think I also see a few asterina stars there as well.

Do I win a prize?

Guys, he's talking about the stick thing!

That's some type of CORAL.

Main Entry:
cor·al Listen to the pronunciation of coral
Pronunciation:
\ˈkȯr-əl, ˈkär-\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin corallium, from Greek korallion
Date:
14th century

1 a: the calcareous or horny skeletal deposit produced by anthozoan or rarely hydrozoan polyps ; especially : a richly red precious coral secreted by a gorgonian (genus Corallium) b: a polyp or polyp colony together with its membranes and skeleton2: a piece of coral and especially of red coral3 a: a bright reddish ovary (as of a lobster or scallop) b: a deep pink
— coral adjective
— cor·al·loid Listen to the pronunciation of coralloid \-ə-ˌlȯid\ adjective

jonathan. said:
Guys, he's talking about the stick thing!

That's some type of CORAL.

Main Entry:
cor·al Listen to the pronunciation of coral
Pronunciation:
\ˈkȯr-əl, ˈkär-\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin corallium, from Greek korallion
Date:
14th century

1 a: the calcareous or horny skeletal deposit produced by anthozoan or rarely hydrozoan polyps ; especially : a richly red precious coral secreted by a gorgonian (genus Corallium) b: a polyp or polyp colony together with its membranes and skeleton2: a piece of coral and especially of red coral3 a: a bright reddish ovary (as of a lobster or scallop) b: a deep pink
— coral adjective
— cor·al·loid Listen to the pronunciation of coralloid \-ə-ˌlȯid\ adjective

OMG you guys are to much HELP wil ya's LMAO

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
In all honesty, the picture quality is limiting.

Can’t really see the detail to id the coral

Here are my off-the-wall guesses from a limited quality picture in order of most likely to least likely:

1. The dead skeleton of some sps.
2. Some white branching sps.
3. If I see purple/blue on the coral and not the coralline on the glass, maybe a Cerise Acro, maybe purple acro, maybe blue acro.
4. If predominantly white, snow white acro, or fiji acro.
5. Picture seems to be washed with light…if slightly yellow, maybe Yellow Staghorn Acro.

Now I picked acropora for some reason. I could be totally wrong because I can’t see detail.

Bottom line, picture quality is too poor to make an id. Sorry.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
redfishbluefish said:
In all honesty, the picture quality is limiting.

Can’t really see the detail to id the coral

Here are my off-the-wall guesses from a limited quality picture in order of most likely to least likely:

1. The dead skeleton of some sps.
2. Some white branching sps.
3. If I see purple/blue on the coral and not the coralline on the glass, maybe a Cerise Acro, maybe purple acro, maybe blue acro.
4. If predominantly white, snow white acro, or fiji acro.
5. Picture seems to be washed with light…if slightly yellow, maybe Yellow Staghorn Acro.

Now I picked acropora for some reason. I could be totally wrong because I can’t see detail.

Bottom line, picture quality is too poor to make an id. Sorry.

You win the prize. It is some kind of Acro.