• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Quick question

I am going tomorrow to buy the plumbing parts I need but I am unsure about this. Do these fittings take PVC or only hose?

Stage2015.jpg

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Joe, you should be able to unscrew those barb fittings and replace them with threaded to slip PVC fittings. That will allow you to use PVC pipe instead of the hose.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Right now, with the barbs on there, it is set up for flex tubing. You can simply unscrew those barb fitting and put in the pvc fittings for pvc pipe.

I cant seem to get them off, I guess they have a permatex on them or something. I assume there is some sort of adaptor to make the system all pvc and then have a fitting to connect the pvc to that hose piece?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes you can use a threaded to slip adapter and then just screw a barb fitting into it. That would allow you to use a short length of tubing to connect the 2.

You may find it easier to remove the bulkheads from the tank to remove the barb fittings. It will give you more room to work and you can get more leverage without worrying about cracking the tank.

Perfect, thanks a lot Matt. I tried twisting the fitting off but it actually twisted the whole bulkhead so that thing is in there good.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Joe the fitting and the bulkhead nut should twist opposite directions. If it is twisting the whole fitting then try holding the bulkhead nut. That is why I suggested removing it so you don't crack the tank.

I can see whatever was used to permanently attach the barb fitting to the threaded part so I dont know how easy it will be to get the barb off. I am going to just use the small piece of hose and connect PVC to that

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If the barbs are glued, I would just stick with flex tube all the way into your sump…assuming it’s just below the tank. Why bother using a short little section of flex just to go into a short section of pvc into the sump. I would only go to pvc if you where dropping this down into the basement, otherwise, just stick with the flex.

yes - if it's going straight down into your stand - that would work. At longer lengths (4 feet) I find the flex starts to curve and kink in strange ways.

curious...in the first pic - it looks like someone cut/broke something from the frame there under the overflow....what happened?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hawkeye said:
curious...in the first pic - it looks like someone cut/broke something from the frame there under the overflow....what happened?

That’s called relieving the stand to fit the bulkheads by using an ax! I also scratched my head on that one….is the integrity of the stand still there…will it support the tank. We shall see.

I didnt have a jigsaw to cut the stand, but I only cut about 3/4" off of the side, the structural integrity is still there. The bulkheads wouldnt allow the tank to sit squarely on the stand without trimming a little. I really dont think anything will be affected by that small cut.

And the pump is going to be submerged in the sump directly under the bulkheads since my sump is almost as wide as the stand and I cant put in to the side of the sump. The return line just dumps water back into the sump right? I ordered an Eheim 1262 for the pump and it should be here by the weekend so I was hoping to get the plumbing done this weekend if possible.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Joe, I'm probably a little late on this one, but I do believe those were slip connections and are glued. I can check tomorrow if you want.

Taz

That's interesting that the stand was not designed to accomodate the corner overflow. Oh - I guess the stand is made by AGA right? that makes sense the AGA's all have the overflows off-center.

If Taz is right, then if they are slip connections - then the only thing you can do (if you really want rigid pvc) is to replace the bulkheads....I had to do that twice because of my own clumsiness. :p

But regardless if you keep them as is and just attach flex tube - you should be fine.

Did you get a 1262 or 1260? A 1262 *might* be too much pump for your overflow to handle (that is you'll be pumping water up faster than can come down).

If the pump is too strong you could "Y or T" the return such that some of the water goes back to your sump (or perhaps into a phosban reactor or something).

I got a 1262. Stan recommended that, he has the 1260 and thiught I should get the step up. It says its 900 gph.

honestly i'm not sure - the distance of the pump inside the stand also impacts how much water it can push. I guess by the time the water goes all the way up to the top of the tank, you're looking at least 6 feet - so with that much head - yeah now that i think of it a 1262 might be perfect.

don't mind me - i'm no stan the man and i probably haven't set up a 10th of the number of tanks he has. ;)