• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Quit or continue?

As some of you know, I had some bad luck lately and lost everything alive in my tank. (and also the tank itself).

My family is encouraging me to stay in the hobby bc they know how much I enjoyed it. (only thing left is my live rock that I've been feeding ammonia in a holding tank).

I have a 20g aio that I could start back up but the task of restocking the tank feels like a lot as I used to have a lot of fish and coral. You guys have been incredibly helpful and supportive so I thank all of you. (my health is also improving so thank you all for the 'good luck' wishes. Meant a lot to me and my family)

My question is, what would you do in my position? Quit? Or try to build back up?

I'd get going again. I'm sure a lot of people will donate live stock and what not when they can. And you can cut em up and trade around as they grow.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
The hobby can be frustrating and am sure many of us wanted to toss in the towel. However, the enjoyment and friendships keep must of us in. I say start up slowly. Seems some are willing to donate which why this club is great. I too have some coral I can offer.

john90009

NJRC Member
How much time and money will the upkeep of the tank be on you, that’s what I would factor in if it’s worth it. Do you plan to travel in the near future, and don’t want to worry about the tank? Or is the enjoyment and family satisfaction out way all the cons. That’s what I would think of mainly. I wouldn’t worry about the restocking. I have softies I need to get rid of, but will eventually be weeds if you wanted a softy tank.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
This is a hobby and nobody needs to have a saltwater aquarium. if you have the time and money you can do it. Like any hobby it’s not more important than your health. spending time with your family is more important. I think we are all one tank crash away from shut it down.

you can always set up an anemone tank. They take care of themselves and they can move to better light or flow. They don’t care about alk/cal and the can live in dirty water.

Just put the main and important things in a balance but be honest with yourself.
Your health and family time are priceless, a fish tank you can always setup later on when things get better.
We all know this hobby can turn into a pita at anytime and you don’t need that right now.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Y have a 4oB yiou are welcome to- still has water in it- I have it one a coffee table with blocks- so you might want to build a proper stand- I have some coral you can have too lemon tip polyps w a dozen heads os so, a n orange yuma-always have gsp and kenya tree- I could cut you abranch from the nepthia- you'd just ahve to band it to get it to attach

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Having lost everything during Sandy, I understand the way you are feeling right now, But it was only a matter of time before I jumped back into the hobby. When everything is going well, it is relaxing and enjoyable. Gotta take the bad with the good.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
20g AIO is perfect. I gave up the big tanks a few years back and run smaller AIOs now and love it. Easy maintenance, not too much to be worried about, no crazy equipment costs, etc... I'm running a 30 AIO mixed reef as my main and a 2g water change a week is working just fine. Lights of course, then a single powerhead for circulation, a small heater, a single Kramer dose to drop in 5-6ml of All for Reef each morning, and floss change once a week, and a bi weekly glass cleaning. Something catastrophic going on? You can do a 50% water change in under an hour. Simple, easy care, and tank looks great.

Or you can chill for a bit and start up when you get the itch, as DEL said. I've got some nice dry rock and a few corals I can pass your way when your ready.