• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Raising pH

My pH has been around 7.8 for a little while now and I'm struggling to raise it. I've tried the baking soda in the past but I raised it way to fast and way to high. What would be a good way to slowly raise it? I want to be in the 8.2 range.

Thanks

Josh

many people will tell you not to chase ph with additives because it will only lead to trouble and many will say that 7.8 ph is ok. Are your corals not looking good? What is your daily ph range?

Just some of the acro's are looking bad. Everything else seem good. Just thought the the pH was low. It doesn't really swing. Its been 7.8 ever since I switched over to the 75 gal. Could the fact its a bare bottom be the reason? I do plan on adding sand in the near future. Will this make a difference?

Do you have a glass lid on top of the tank? After removing my glass lid to increase air flow, the ph in my tank went up and fluctuate less.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What are your alk and calc numbers….and what do you do to maintain alk and calc? Assuming you don’t have a CO2 problem, proper alk and calc numbers will maintain proper pH.

Also, if you “cook” the baking soda at 300 for an hour, it will be more effective in raising pH….but do it slowly and test for alk while dosing.

As Paul said, Soda Ash, or baked baking soda, will raise your pH. Having said that, your pH is OK, as long as your Ca and Alk are within recommended ranges. It's not unusual for your pH to run a little low any time of year, that the house is all closed up. This is primarily due to elevated levels of CO2 in the atmosphere. Another possibility is using kalkwasser to help elevate it. Make sure your skimmer is in good order, you might even run it a little wet. And as Matt said, if you have any covers on the tank, it would be best to remove them for a better gas exchange.

Before you do anything, check your test kit. What are you testing PH with? Verify your results against known good, and be sure to test a brand new batch of salt water to see if it is mixing properly as well.

That calcium looks kind of low to me for SPS as well. Might want to double check that.

What salt mix are you using?

I also noticed in your other post that your phosphates tested at .5? If your concern is your SPS not looking good, you may want to attempt to lower that Phosphate, the PH may not be the problem. .5 is high ( of course, getting accurate phosphate results with a titration style kit is tough to start out).

I also noticed in your other post that your phosphates tested at .5? If your concern is your SPS not looking good, you may want to attempt to lower that Phosphate, the PH may not be the problem. .5 is high ( of course, getting accurate phosphate results with a titration style kit is tough to start out).

They looked better when the PO4 was over 2.0(begining of the year). LOL. Its not a color or growth problem. 2 seem to be STN(Green Slimer, Purple Slimer) and one looks like its starting to bleach out(Digi of sorts). But at the same time birdsnest is not coloring up but it has growth, bonsia is encrusting, monti caps are growing, setosa and randoms are encrusting. Just don't know what it is.

My test kits are a little old as well. But I have a plan.

if you PO4 is over 2.0 that is a definitive of SPS brownout. soon or later it will brown out. as far as your PH at 7.8, I would not worry much about that since your ALK, CAL and Mag are al lin the range. however, I would worry about PO4 and NO3 in your tank. these will kill your SPS.
I would check again on CAL and MAG value and Definitely check the PO4 and NO3.