• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

RAP NY

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Saturday for the fire, Sunday for the fire sales. I am really looking forward as always to RAP. Check the floor plan to see who is coming and check the speaker schedule as well. Besides being very good speakers, they can give you a much needed break from the floor. We can only make Friday and Saturday but can't wait.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Friday and Saturday? It only runs Sat & Sun! @mnat

Actually they are selling VIP tickets this year that gives you access to the vendors on Friday afternoon. However, I meant we will be there setting up, I am sure you will see a post soon with requests for help as that is what NJRC does.

I wanted to add something to my comment up top, I was typing late night from an Ipad so I did not get my full thoughts out.

Treat all the vendors there with respect. They are spending a lot of money to be there plus their travel expenses to get there. A lot of them have to cover a few thousand dollars in overhead just to break even at a show like this. So what does that mean? Be friendly, ask questions with a smile and be patient if there are a lot of people in a booth. Sometimes you might have to walk away and come back later and that is ok. Don't scoff or berate a vendor if you don't like the price on a coral or fish, again just be polite, I use the line "Sorry that is just out of my price range". Bargaining and combo deals always happen but again be respectful. Don't offer 10 bucks for a 200 dollar coral and then act indignant if they say no. Vendors will work with you and the more you buy the more they will work with you. As for Sunday, they will have signs up and be much more willing to deal but again treat them with respect.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Important question! Is it a MUST to have cash? Or do many of the vendors take cards??

I would say about 99% of vendors have credit card readers on their phones or will take paypal. Cash is nice, especially for Sunday because vendors typically prefer to take cash then to have to deal with fees if they are selling things for less. There is an ATM at the expo center but that usually gets cleaned out very fast.

"As for Sunday, they will have signs up and be much more willing to deal but again treat them with respect" What do you mean by sign ups?

As for etiquette for vendors, I'm well aware of how it feels to be on the other side of the booth because I work one with my business at the Javits Center every year.

PS: I'd be glad to help set up if I'm available!

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Hmm I might not actually be able to make it. I have graduation on the 20th and will be away until the 23rd. Hopefully I can make the 24 th to pick up my bag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He said "signs up", not sign up. Usually at the end of these shows, vendors put signs up like All frags 1/2 price. Priced to sell so they don't have to bring anything back with them.

"As for Sunday, they will have signs up and be much more willing to deal but again treat them with respect" What do you mean by sign ups?
QUOTE]

erics210

NJRC Member
Sounds like two days of RAP for me. I went Saturday last year and still being newer it was OVERWHELMING!
Glad I had my cooler on wheels so I had a place to stop and rest when needed.

Sounds like two days of RAP for me. I went Saturday last year and still being newer it was OVERWHELMING!
Glad I had my cooler on wheels so I had a place to stop and rest when needed.

I need to do this... I just carry everything like a man carrying groceries in from the car in one go lol

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Actually they are selling VIP tickets this year that gives you access to the vendors on Friday afternoon. However, I meant we will be there setting up, I am sure you will see a post soon with requests for help as that is what NJRC does.

I wanted to add something to my comment up top, I was typing late night from an Ipad so I did not get my full thoughts out.

Treat all the vendors there with respect. They are spending a lot of money to be there plus their travel expenses to get there. A lot of them have to cover a few thousand dollars in overhead just to break even at a show like this. So what does that mean? Be friendly, ask questions with a smile and be patient if there are a lot of people in a booth. Sometimes you might have to walk away and come back later and that is ok. Don't scoff or berate a vendor if you don't like the price on a coral or fish, again just be polite, I use the line "Sorry that is just out of my price range". Bargaining and combo deals always happen but again be respectful. Don't offer 10 bucks for a 200 dollar coral and then act indignant if they say no. Vendors will work with you and the more you buy the more they will work with you. As for Sunday, they will have signs up and be much more willing to deal but again treat them with respect.

Exactly

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Yes absolutely bring some sort of sturdy bag/cooler with you. We give out 500 goodie bags a day but they go in minutes at the start of the day. The number one question we get asked all day is, "Do you have any more bags?" And the answer is no. Vendors will generally hold corals until the end of the day or show so don't feel like you have to carry everything with you the entire day if you are staying the entire day. If you are only going for a few hours an yeah grab your stuff because the vendors don't have unlimited space.