• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

re drilling a drilled tank

so i picked up a 75 corner drilled, and the overflow is on what would be the rear left,
and i need it on the rear right, so i was thinking of re drilling it in the other corner,
plugging the existing 2 holes, and moving the overflow box.

has anyone drilled a drilled tank?
how did you seal the existing holes?
any worries of the water pressure on the that drilled area?

thanks

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would first check to see that the glass was not tempered….easy to do using THIS simple test.

I used a pair of polarized sunglasses and a netbook computer.

Once you verify non-tempered glass, drill away.

As far as the old holes, leave the bulkheads there and put in plugs….either threaded or slip.

thanks guys for the response
i remembered reading the temper test article awhile back,
and did check the glass, it is not tempered,
but at this point, i dont have diamond tipped hole saws, nor do
i know where to get them today and i want to set up the tank today,
i have some very high end carbide tipped hole saws, but i dont think they would work

heya Ryan,glad to see yr still reefin away.Shoot me a pm and I will see if I still have a bit I used back when I drilled my last tank.If I do have it yr more than welcome to use it.:D

Can I ask why the overflow needs to be on the other side so bad?

the corner overflow is on the left rear of the tank, where the tank sits,
we get great viewing from our eat in kitchen table, and main viewing from the family/rec room.
so that corner overflow obstructs more then a third of that side view, so i wanted it on the opposite corner,
where no viewing occurs,

but, upon some additional reading, i am now going to a drilled thru overflow box, and keep the real estate
that corner box would consume, if im gonna drill, its gonna be where i want it, and i like the drilled thru overflows,
then ill pipe up and over the top for the return, probably with a manifold set up i seen here and like.

heya Ryan,glad to see yr still reefin away.Shoot me a pm and I will see if I still have a bit I used back when I drilled my last tank.If I do have it yr more than welcome to use it.

yea man, i been states side for about a month, and should be here for at least till june.
ill pm ya, if you got the cutter that would be great, im finally getting the refutium set up with the tank you hooked me up with,
also, i got a ton of equip if aquired, and gonna need to find some homes for it when i sort it