• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

re: lights - same question asked many times

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
For that size tank, I would go with the T5's. That should be more than sufficient for most corals.

what about Current USA Nova Extrem T5 vs OuterOrbit HQI/T5HO 48" 2x250 watt 10K HQI or 2x150 ? is there a big difference (except the price)?

i have the nova t5's and have a large variety of corals, bulbs are cheap, last a long time, don't create much heat, and i have had a happy growing maxima clam that i got from ao's 2007 anniversary sale that has probably doubled or better in size... big t5 fan here,

Actually I have the Nova Extreme 8x54 as well as the 2x150. Both can grow basically anything you want. Placement needs to be a little higher on the T5 for maximas/croceas. Same for SPS. The T5s don't generate very little heat. The MH generate a lot of heat and uses a lot more power. Softies will need time to acclimate to MH. I tested a mushroom anemone last night under MH and it basically shriveled down because of too much light. I probably will be testing the 2x250 next week and you are welcome to come take a look at all 3 if you like. Send me a PM if interested.

I am looking for a light that will allow me to have the largest range of corals in the tank. all options on the table just picking the right one.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wendy runs a full blow SPS reef with clams growing on the bottom with just T5s. I think that gives you all you need, especially with a shallow tank (<24").

rniedzia,

What size tank did you have? Have you run MH before? There are lots of heat/power issues involved with MH.

Can you get any more flexibility than this? As Phyl pointed out, I run nothing but T5s, and I can put anything anywhere I want. ;D In fact, I have to be careful on where to place certain LPS.

FTS.jpg

HotPinkMilli.jpg

PrismFavia.jpg

Crayola.jpg

it looks so nice... it tooks yrs to build something like that. honestly, I would pay someone to build/create something like that in my 72g.