• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

re: lights - same question asked many times

Think you only need the 6x54. Do those have lunars? If they do, the ones on the extrme aren't so great. Might want to supplement with something else.

the only problem your going to have with the 72 gallon bow is it's narrow at the sides, the most you'll be able to fit is a 6X54 fixture and you will still have some overhang on the sides, if you use a canopy the most you can fit would be 4X54. The 8X54 you will have a lot of overhang and will put a lot of light into the room insted of the tank. Look at the measurements of the fixtures and you'll see what I'm talking about. The 72 bow on the sides is only 12"

rniedzia said:
hm... thank you. that is correct. i have now 4x54. what about bulbs for 6x54? any suggestions for the best results?

Couldn't you possibly squeeze a Tek Readyfit Retro in there, still? Perhaps 2 X 36Watts? That should fit, no?

I love and swear by ATI bulbs, and that's mostly what I'm using. Once you figure out how many bulbs you'll be using, I can try and suggest some color combos. :)

A Tek light would be better but with a 6X54 he'd need the fixture then he could use the legs or hang it, The current 6X54 fixture he would have to hang cause the legs that support the light are on the corners of the fixture so they wouldn't rest on the rim in the front of the tank, the Tek ready fit's take up about the same as the retro and in a canopy would still only fit 4 bulbs, going 36" wouldn't be good for the 72 gallon he needs the wattage and length. The legs on the Tek fixture are centered in the middle of the light so that would be the best option but he'll still have overhang on the front corners.

If you're going with 6 X 54Watts I'd suggest the following combo (front to back):

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue Spezial
GE 6,500
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue Spezial
ATI Blue Plus

If that is too blue for you, you could substitute the middle ATI Blue Plus with a Korallenzucht Fiji Purple, and see which colors appease more to you. :)

REEFLECTIONS said:
no true actinics wendy?

I never ran true actinics on my 75, and used 6 X 54Watts. On my 180 I'm using only 1 true actinic, and will probably NOT replace it with another but substitute for yet another Blue Plus.

Phyl said:
A retro with 4x54 and 2x36 would solve your problem. ;D

Still wounld't fit, remember I have a 80gal bow which is the same footprint ;) the most you'd be able to fit would be 4X54 and maybe 1X24 unless by some strange chance your able to find the Tek 1 reflectors then you might be able to fit a 39w

Not to hijack a thread.....but how about a recommendation for where to purchase these bulbs at.

I just switched over from halides to t-5's and am going to need a good set of bulbs.

I have a 6 bulb nova over my 58 gal and am not to pleased with the stock bulbs plus I am adding an 8 bulb retro over my 65 gal and I am sure the bulbs it comes with are the cheapest they could find.

So I am going to need a few bulbs.

Not to hijack a thread.....but how about a recommendation for where to purchase these bulbs at.

Well first you have to be a member then you can participate in our group buy this month....convenient no?