• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

really bummed.

..my tank crashed.

well really i crashed my tank. i transfered everything over into my new tank until the wee hours of the morning the other night and went to bed. i woke up to a cloudy mess, my best guess is everything released toxins on everything ( esp. the green palys ) i guess the carbon couldnt keep up. i didnt even transfer over the sand because i was contimplating going bare bottom, which i think ill now just clean the sand and add it.

to put it in a nice way, i lost just about everything but a kenya tree, xenia, and green palys which i have 100s and 100s of.
i added the fish, which included 2 tangs (powderblue and yellow) both at the same time and today i find the yellow tang dead and the blue looking like he went through a war zone.

bummer. guess im back to the drawing board. :mad:

that stinks. sorry
let me know when everything is back to normal you can have pieces of whatever you want from my tank.
the bright side is you can scrub those green palys off your rocks.
:( actually there is no bright side hang in there.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That sucks. I have a bunch of zoas I can frag when your ready.

Bob

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That sucks Jon. Add a bag of Bio-Speria. I have some corals for ya. You can also have one of my purple tangs.

you guys are all to kind. if anything i want the tank to be stable before any new additions.

we are supposed to be saving the reef one living room at a time not killing them right? :(

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ouch. I'm soooo sorry to hear. I can't imagine what caused that. I known many people who have moved over like that without incident, so the same thing could well have happened to any of us. I've seen some LPS look like they were on the brink of death before only to make an amazing rebound, so don't count it out unless it doesn't have any flesh left.

well.

it appears nothing has flesh left. i lost all the sps ( which was the first to go ) all acans, 2 chalices, frogspawn, it looks like both scolys :'( ....and the list goes on.

it just sucks.

That really stinks, when you are ready let me know, I should have a couple frags for you. I transfer my 180g into my 150g everything was fine. I even trasfer my old sand into my new tank but did i separately in 3 days, 2 buckets a day. Everything wash in the old tank water before transfer. Good luck.

Ouch, tough luck Jon.

Were you able to figure out what happened ? Perhaps get a sample water tested to find out if anything other than Ammonia, nitrate etc is through the roof?

I dont know if this helps but you live not so far away from Rutgers Marine Science Dept. you could try shooting them an email saying you would like the water tested.

Sorry to hear .that sucks . Hopefully in a short time you will have a new and better reef going and forget about the "crash of 09" . I am also fighting my tank right now but not as bad . When your ready post up and Ill frag whatever you like .

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We went through a tank crash back in November when my fiancee mother turned the heater up way too high. She came home basically to chowder. Dealing with a tank crash sucks.

Wow sorry to hear about the problems. I think we have all moved things and never thougth twice.
Don't give up all hope on everything even the smallest bits remaining can come back.

Too bad you don't need kenya tree :D. That stuff cannot be killed though.

If there is something else I can get for ya let me know.

That sucks big time. I'll be moving my stuff to a new tank in time and now I'll really have to think about it. Hope some of it pulls through. Don't know what else to say. :(

Sorry to hear that the transfer went bad Jon. I know that you spent a lot of time prepping for the move an the new tank :(

I hope you figure out what caused the problem so you can try to compensate for it in the future.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear about the Scolys. I know how much you loved those! Next time I frag the acan I'll have a couple of heads for you. Now to think about rebuilding and restocking...

yea, out of everything those were my favorites. :(

i think i have some green palys, a kenya tree, and xenia left. its like a clean slate! where to begin... hmmm.

OMG, I'm so sorry to hear. I can't even imagine what you must feel like. I believe if that was to ever happen to me I'd throw the towel - out of pure devastation and despair. :(

Have you tested the water, or tried to figure out what happened?