• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Really need to get to the bottom of Lighting problem!!

So I've been trying to figure out what the problem is with my light fixture, but I have had no luck and now it is really ticking me off!!

I have a Coralife Aqualight Pro with 3x150 HQI, 4x96 PC Actinics and moonlights. Now only 2 of the HQI's work. Every time I go to plug in the third one, it blows my GFCI. And yes I've tried to run the one non-working light off a completely different circuit, but the same thing happens!!

I know the ballast isn't a problem, because if I plug one of the other lights into that ballast, the light works fine.

So with that said, what could be my problem and how can I fix it?? I hate looking at the tank with only 2 working lights for the past couple months!!

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Did you try pluging that light into a different ballast? It could be a bad whire in that fixture.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It sounds like you have a short in the 3rd light that is why it trips the breaker. Check the wiring for any frayed or cracked insulation and that all the connections are tight.

Bob

mikem said:
Did you try pluging that light into a different ballast? It could be a bad whire in that fixture.

Yes...I did that. No matter what ballast I plug it in to it still happens.

magic said:
It sounds like you have a short in the 3rd light that is why it trips the breaker. Check the wiring for any frayed or cracked insulation and that all the connections are tight.

Bob

So take the light apart and check all the wires??

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If it still happens (blowing a circuit) when you plug it into the other ballasts, then theres the problem. It's around the fixture.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's a bad wire from ballast to the fixture, or inside connection to bulb plug.

mikem said:
If it still happens (blowing a circuit) when you plug it into the other ballasts, then theres the problem. It's around the fixture.

It blows the GFCI, not the main circuit.

I guess I have to take it apart and do some exploring.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes. The GFCI should always blow first.
the short is definatly somewhere between the ballast and non working light.

you were right!! There was a wire jammed underneath one of the fans.....When I removed the fan I noticed the wire was stripped of it's shielding in the spot making connection with the metal of the fan!!

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
jbonk623 said:
did you try another outlet?

uhhhh....

9supratt4 said:
you were right!! There was a wire jammed underneath one of the fans.....When I removed the fan I noticed the wire was stripped of it's shielding in the spot making connection with the metal of the fan!!

I had same prob with an electronic ballast and 250watt mh. It just wouldn't work on a grounded outlet. Try it on a normal outlet

Wow I only give my advise on what worked for me to someone having a similar problem and I get Bashed. Nice way to greet a new member. Thanks

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
News flash, Your not a club member! You have a ID on the website. If you were interested you would have seen that the problem was solved days before you posted! Read the thread.

Keep in mind with a GFI its normaly for protection for the person. Basically if you have short (frayed wire, broken isulation) touching a metal enclosure of the light the GCF will go off. Or even when elctricity or electrical product touches water GFI will go off. It really meant to save the person from getting hurt.

When one wire touches another its a short circuit, and very damaging to to people and products and will hopefully trip a breaker in a house, if the breaker is sized correctly.