• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

recession

So yesterday I removed a ton of hair algae from my nano tank. Almost a McDonald's kiddie meal worth. some corals got bumped around and I think I have some serious chem warfare going on. My Kenya tree is all shriveled up, the flesh has receded on my candy cane and frogspawn to the point skeleton has poked through, the rest of my lps are pissed, zoas are all closed and about the only things that seem fine are my mushrooms.

Nitrate cycle all came back negative. pH is around 8, skimmer is doing it's thing and I just replaced the carbon. Should I lugol dip my lps in worse shape?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What's your Mg level? Changing the carbon was probably a really good idea. Maybe your phosban too if you're running it. Not sure dipping them is going to solve the problem as it sounds like you either disturbed something or in some way cause a nutrient or chemical spike in the tank. Can you do a decent water change?

Mg level is high at ~1800-1900. I was hoping it would take out some of the hair algae but no.

edit: I also changed out 4-5 gal of water and can do it again too.

I'm doing another waterchange tonight before bed and have had the tank blacked out to help with the algae. Plus it's difficult to look at right now.

Currently doing another blackout. Everything seems to be pulling though except for a ricordia. It seems to be shriveling and imploding. :(

I would also suggests if you have a good skimmer try dosing Vodka it works really well on SPS faily fast too.Clears water quickly but do your homework before dosing there are many articles on it.Carbon would help too.See if you can get your hands on some Roxs its the best carbon on the market.