• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Recirculating Biopellet Reactor

I've made a few attempts at employing a biopellet reactor with my tanks. Each time I've ended up removing it after experiencing cyano issues. Each time the cyano disappeared after the biopellets were removed. Been thinking about nitrate reduction for down the road. I've toyed with the idea of running a fuge or even a dinitrator but they take up a bit of space.

This lead me back to the biopellet reactor that I have collecting dust. After a little reading I've started coming to the conclusion that my issues with the reactor might have to be due to the amount of flow that I needed to run it to keep the pellets tumbling. This higher flow might be discharging the bacteria into my tank and feeding the cyano. It seems some reactors are now using a recirculating the design to give independent control of the tumbling and the flow through the reactor. Has anyone tried one of these reactors and noticed any better performance? I would think that they would also allow you to adjust how much nitrate removal that you get and avoid stripping your tank.

I'm toying with converting my RO and was wondering if it is worth the effort.

Either way they seem to be challenging to hook up and get running
If you read a on here b Darren he is running a natureef denitrator