• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Recommendation for an auto top off

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Autotopoff.com. Been using one for over ten years now. Never had a problem with it..I use the double float switch one.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I got a cheap $60 one .. not really that cheap..for my frag tank from Amazon, and it's been working just fine. I use the tunze 3155 for my main tank.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I got a cheap $60 one .. not really that cheap..for my frag tank from Amazon, and it's been working just fine. I use the tunze 3155 for my main tank.
My tank is a 75g, would the cheap one from amazon work for me? what kind is it

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I will never go back to ato. I using just a doser. I am using it to add kalkwasser to my system. I have it dialed in to match my evaporation. If i have to make changes I can do it from The app anywhere in the world

Salted

NJRC Member
Will be going away for a week and will need one- I do it manually now
How long before you go away? My advice would be to get whatever you decide on as far in advance of leaving as you can. You would want to be confident it’s running as it should before leaving. As an example I thought mine was messing up. It turned out that the slight surface skim the kalk I was also dosing into the return was coating the optical sensor. So it turned out not to be a problem with the ato itself and it was a few weeks before I figured out what was causing the issue. Been running perfectly for years now.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I will never go back to ato. I using just a doser. I am using it to add kalkwasser to my system. I have it dialed in to match my evaporation. If i have to make changes I can do it from The app anywhere in the world
Any recommendatios for a doser- I'm topping off with about half a gallon a day

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Any recommendatios for a doser- I'm topping off with about half a gallon a day
Get the kamora Amazon sell Tyne Wi-Fi one for like $80

Attachments

• IMG_2332.png
    IMG_2332.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

horseplay

NJRC Member
How long before you go away? My advice would be to get whatever you decide on as far in advance of leaving as you can. You would want to be confident it’s running as it should before leaving. As an example I thought mine was messing up. It turned out that the slight surface skim the kalk I was also dosing into the return was coating the optical sensor. So it turned out not to be a problem with the ato itself and it was a few weeks before I figured out what was causing the issue. Been running perfectly for years now.
Agreed. Long before going away, getting tank into a stable state. No touching tank see if it can run itself for two weeks.

As for ato, I am a longtime tunze user. But last two years switched to auto aqua smart ato. About $60 from eBay. Has been super reliable for me.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I aggree with those who recommend getting things in order long before I go away, @Salted knows my system and has commented on how it might be hard for me to get an ATO working right in my setup- I think a doser would be a better choice for me- I'd get one that is just a single doser for just water when away and maybe use it for kallk when I'm home

Salted

NJRC Member
If you’re going to go doser either a brs 1.1ml or 50ml per min doser would work for you. Buy once you’ve figured out how much your tank evaporates over 24hrs. They’re here in deals and steals often enough for about $25. Someone here likely has one they’d sell. That and a simple timer (and I’m pretty sure I have a extra I can give you) and you’re set. Put a piece of tape on your tank and mark the water level. 24 hours later check the level and top the tank off measuring how much water you need then do the math and pick your doser. I will text links for both. Once you’ve figured this out run the doser to see how long it needs to run and set the timer and you’re done. You’re likely not evaporating enough per day to cause big salinity swings doing it in one dose. If you think you are then get a timer like Stan is using and break it up.

Edit - just wanted to add that there’s some simplicity in my above recommendation here. It doesn’t rely on wifi. I mention for two reasons. First iirc dyiguy might have a wifi issue but I might be wrong about that. Second I’m sure I’ve read posts about the kamoer (sorry I’m not remembering which one) having to be manually reconnected to wifi if power goes out. The timer I and Stan use will simply resume working upon power being restored if there’s an outage.

Last edited: