• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red bugs in the nano

Well the title says it all. This will be a first battle for me so any and all suggestions are welcome. Tank is a 20 gal with sump. From what I read the snails and stomatells should be fine. But the shrimp and crabs gotta go. I have a blood and sexy shrimp and a Pom Pom and emerald crab, as well as a few hermits. As far as interceptor goes where does one find it and what dose should be used in with such a small volume. Thanks in advance.

I have 1 23 mg pill left good till 9/12 it should be good to treat your tank a few times let me know if your interested..

Thx. I might take you up on the offer. Just wanna check with my brother in law first, he's mentioned having it in the past for his dogs.

Question. When I look at them they don't seem to be moving along the branches just kind of swaying with to flow.
b67fe082.jpg

This is the pic that they were noticed them in.

Ok well thanks to Mike(greybolt) I've got interceptor coming shortly a 23mg pill. How is dosage determined? This is a nano with a total volume of about 23 gal. In the meantime, I'll start catching inverts. Shrimp and crabs definitly. what's the consensus on snails, stomatellas, and serpent stars. I'll also take this time to catch the clown goby that will soon be available. Thanks in advance.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
That single pill will treat 380 gallons, so you will have to grind it up and measure it out appropriately. When I treated for them years ago, I found it was better to overdose the tank and make sure they all died rather to under dose, as there is a chance they will come back. It will not harm any snails, stomatellas or stars, just shrimp, crabs, etc.

Remove any carbon, GAC, etc and turn your skimmer off, but you want to continue to let water flow thru it just in case there are a few bugs in the body of the skimmer. I would usually dose in the evening and then let it sit overnight for up to 12 hours before putting filtration back on line and doing a partial WC. You want to do 3 treatments, each spaced a week apart. Here is a good summary of everything. Good luck and dont stress this is the simplest pest to be rid of in an aquarium and the interceptor does zero harm to corals and fish

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=14402

Ok anyone have any clue as to how I can measure approximately 75mg. The dosage seems to be 25mg per 10 gal of water. I'm at approx 23 gal. So I figure 75mg will give me the slightly higher strength Darren suggested.

Well I started removing thing today. Wasn't planning on starting till tomorrow. I had gotten the holding tank ready today. Anyway I went to feed the nano and low and behold the too things I thought would be the hardest to get were right put in the open. The Pom Pom crab which I never see and the emerald crab. So they are in the QT. next up will be the hermits(easy) and the shrimp. The blood shrimp will be easy. He usually eats from my hand. The sexy will be a challenge though. He is usually on the frogspawn, so hopefully I'll be able to just pick up the whole piece.
As for the clown goby hopefully my fish trap bottle works.

Did you find a way to measure the dose? All I can think of is ebay or maybe you have a vet that you use that may be willing to help and parse the dose.

Actually, 1 pill is good for about 400 gal. Quartered 100 gal each. I'm gonna grind 1 quarter and divide it into 3 parts as best I can. Each should treat about 30-33 gal. Which would be a slight overdose for my tank.

So tonight I'll go with my first dose. So please correct me if I'm wrong on the process. I'm gonna close off the air tube of the skimmer but keep it running. Dissolve interceptor in tank water and add. Let go overnight approx 12 hrs. Then put skimmer back in full operation and add carbon. I have approx 23 gal of water so I'm gonna do a 5-6 gal water change also.
Does this seem like a good plan? Am I missing anything? Thanks in advance.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Why not take a ¼ pill and smash it up (ideally in a mortar and pestle), and now dissolve it in a volume of water. Now take a third of that water and dose your tank. This would be more accurate, unless you had a scale that measured into the microgram range.

As an example, you dissolve a quarter pill in 9 ounces of water. Now you dose three ounces, and you’ve got it!

I had thought of that but wasn't sure if the medicine would stay active over the few weeks it would take. Well I guess it will and now I will do it that way. Thanks Paul.

I had thought of that but wasn't sure if the medicine would stay active over the few weeks it would take. Well I guess it will and now I will do it that way. Thanks Paul.

I use Melev's method, I ground the pill with a mortar & pestel, and then I use a tiny tiny scoop to remove a small portion of powder (i am dosing our 45g cube) and mix with water, then add to the tank. It is a rough estimate at best.
That said, if Paul says that the solution will be fine, I would think that would be easier than Melev's method. If anyone would know if the solution would be stable, it would be Paul. I can't imagine him recommending it if he didn't think it would remain stable long enough for you do treat.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That said, if Paul says that the solution will be fine, I would think that would be easier than Melev's method. If anyone would know if the solution would be stable, it would be Paul. I can't imagine him recommending it if he didn't think it would remain stable long enough for you do treat.

Boy, I almost think I need to go looking for legal representation with what you have said! Do you know a good lawyer? :)

Or maybe I need to preface my comments with a disclaimer.

Here’s the poop: I don’t know the stability of the drug (milbemycin oxime). However, it is used in water-based topical applications and is quite stable. So I would speculate that a solution of milbemycin oxime would be just fine…especially for the few weeks you’ll be using it. Just to make double sure, put the excess in the refrigerator.

First dose completed successfully, so far. I can't see any red bugs anywhere. Everything seems to be ok. I'm keeping a close eye though. I have never run carbon in this system. I went with 1/3 cp but I'm only gonna run it for the day. Then lesson to just a couple of table spoons. It's only 23 total gal so that should be fine.

Unbelievable. Two days after the first treatment and SPS already looks better. I think getting the clown goby out also helped. For the first time in awhile I'm getting PE in the daytime.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Glad to hear it is working for you. The first dose will kill all the adult red bugs which is why you do 2 more doses to kill the ones that have not hatched yet. Agreed, clown gobies can be a PIA.