• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red Bugs -please enlighten me

I was stating at my SPS yesterday looking for growth and all of my SPS are looking good except for one (teal Acro) that was growing a nice base but it's Color isn't as bright at the rest of the corals.

i looked a little closer and noticed little red dots and focused to see if there was movement, which was then confirmed. Naturally I started looking at all of the other corals for the same and there is no trace of them on any other corals.

Feeling panicked i ripped it of of the rock and threw it out.

Now for the question - Is it possible for them to isolate that one coral? I'll never get another frag without dipping first.

Erik

If you have one it most likely you have em in your tank. You only need 1 RB and they will populate. I have read people threads that the best way to treat RB is do an In tank treatment.

You should dip everytime you get new frags ;)

What exactly do they do? Eat the coral? I see the treatment suggestions above, but what do you suggest for in tank treatment Pnoy?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you saw something red on your coral it is highly unlikely it was a red bug! They are mostly yellow with a SPECK of red on them. Can you search for a photo of them and confirm that is what you saw? They're nearly microscopic...

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Do they look like this?

redbugcheck007.jpg

Why didn't they name them "Yellow Bugs"?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I wish they had called them YELLOW bugs! That would clear so much up for people!

No, They were definitely red. I must have stared at them for 10 Min straight to see if they were moving. The minute I saw movent, I chucked the coral.

No polyp extension at all. All of the others look great. A little lonely, but great. ;)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think they may appear more reddish against a yellow backdrop because the yellow blends in more? They are definitely yellow with a red "head" though.

snails, shrimps, inverts. You'll wipe out your pods in your display, too, so you may need to reseed after treatment.

I thought your tank is fairly new, so if you can take out all the acro's from the display and treat them remotely, I'd suggest doing that. It's more work, but if you have alot of inverts in your tank you won't run the risk of killing them.

All my snails survived when I treated a year ago or so. Just remove shrimps and crabs. The rest will be fine. You will lose a large amount of your pod population, but if you want to give them a jumpstart when you're all done treating and have made water changes, you can buy some pods and add them to your fuge.

Good luck. Interceptor treatments work GREAT for red bugs.

A sixline "can" eat some flatworms, perhaps even "some" red bugs. But a sixline certainly won't eradicate your reef of potentially harmful pests.