• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red bugs

Great. The first treatment was this past weekend. Not a bug in site now. But I still have two more to go.
Not to sound cocky but most of my acros had good PE and colors but the last few days most of them just seem even better. I just don't know what to attribute it to, since I started AV fuel 2 weeks ago and also added started the bio pellets this weekend as well. I guess a little of everything.

Yep. Actually it gave me a chance to clean it out. I also got a new impeller for it. So I changed that too.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
That is why you might have seen corals happier :) I have noticed that whenever I turn my skimmer off for a day or two, corals look better.
However that is because I think I over skim. In short term the corals like it but cannot do that in long term and risk issues.

So moral of the story is, skimmer is over powered and you need to add some "dirt" to the tank once in a while ;).

Crazy?? Yup definitely sounds like that but neither AV fuel and nor bio pellets will show results in 2 weeks :)

Again, ever tank is different. Take it with a grain of salt but this is something I see all the time in my tank.

Sunny

Your bursting my bubble here. I've also increased my feeding the last week or so also, so more dirty stuff. So your right. Lol

Is this something that I might want to do regularly or not. Say every couple of weeks or so.
Sunny I'll PM you later. Got a few questions

Is this something that I might want to do regularly or not. Say every couple of weeks or so.
Sunny I'll PM you later. Got a few questions

Not like I even have a saltwater tank set up yet but with some of the research I've been doing for my 40 breeder I will be setting up soon I've read that if u have more corals then fish to only run the skimmer for about 6 hrs a day so u don't over skim all the micro and macro fauna along with any zooplankton that is preasent in ur tank. Essentially they are saying if u leave it running 24/7 not only are u getting all the dirty junk out but also the good stuff. Kinda like using a uv sterilizer it doesn't no the the good from the bad stuff. A lot of people either use there controller or a timer for there skikmer now.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Not like I even have a saltwater tank set up yet but with some of the research I've been doing for my 40 breeder I will be setting up soon I've read that if u have more corals then fish to only run the skimmer for about 6 hrs a day so u don't over skim all the micro and macro fauna along with any zooplankton that is preasent in ur tank. Essentially they are saying if u leave it running 24/7 not only are u getting all the dirty junk out but also the good stuff. Kinda like using a uv sterilizer it doesn't no the the good from the bad stuff. A lot of people either use there controller or a timer for there skikmer now.

Hello

I like the fact that you have been reading up before taking the plunge into this hobby. Keep it up!
I do not recommend switching the skimmer on and off every day. That will shorten the life of the pump drastically. The pumps that are made for skimmers are not like powerheads that can be turned off and on. The good way to do this is to add some nutrients back in the tank on a bi weekly basis (Once every two weeks).
Obviously, you have to make sure that you can sustain the extra nutrients and your skimmer is indeed over powered.

Sunny

Hello

I like the fact that you have been reading up before taking the plunge into this hobby. Keep it up!
I do not recommend switching the skimmer on and off every day. That will shorten the life of the pump drastically. The pumps that are made for skimmers are not like powerheads that can be turned off and on. The good way to do this is to add some nutrients back in the tank on a bi weekly basis (Once every two weeks).
Obviously, you have to make sure that you can sustain the extra nutrients and your skimmer is indeed over powered.

Sunny
Ok and thank u. I have a 75g planted tank that I have had for over a year now so I'm not completly oblivious to tanks. So just want to make sure i dont want to screw up my 3 yr olds Nemo tank as my wife calls it.Like I said it will be a 40 breeder with a aquafuge on the back so that should add another 5 gallon so I was gonna go with either a aqua c remora or an aqua c remora pro. If u wouldn't mind taking a look at my thread in the tank planning section and giving me your input it would be appreciated. And I will take ur info and just shut it off every couple of weeks. Now how long do u leave it off? Just over night or like a full 24 hrs?