• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red Fish Egg Type Algae?

I don't know if this is visible or not but about 2 months ago I noticed one of my hermit shells had a reddish orange substance growing inside it. It proceeded to expand until it was breaking the shell apart. About a month later I noticed one of my rocks had the same stuff growing on it and it continued to grow. Does anyone know
what this might be?
20140103_132824.jpg20140103_132813.jpg

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That first pic does look like a sponge, but I doubt that would be strong enough to break a shell apart. Might be something else.

The pic is a bit blurry to say for certain.

Ive seen shells in freshwater break apart and essentially "melt" away from what i can only assume is low calcium levels. Maybe your cal is really low and causes the shell to break. The algae could be just a coincidence

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I only noticed this "sponge" a month after I received a clean up crew from Reef Cleaners. My fish all died of Ich and I have been going fallow for 90 days. I have kept up with water changes and have very little algae. At this point I am assuming it is some type of sponge that hitchhiked in and has grown. None of my other shells have broken apart. I'll try to take a better picture.