• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red Sea Max 34 gal

Anyone know anyone who's got a Red Sea Max 34 gal up and running? I'm really interested in this tank but I'd really like to see one up and running before I commit to it (well, when I'm ready and all)

Also, there's really no way a sump or fuge could be implemented into it, I'm just wondering if it's even worth it.

I'd like to also gut and swap out the stock lighting and throw some halides in there. When the time comes I'm gonna need some serious help with it all ;D

BTW, go ahead and feel free to talk me out of spending $700 on a 34 gallon tank please :eek:

Everytime I go to Trop I cannot take my eyes off this tank! I know you can get so much more for your money and all, but I've just fallen in love with this tank.

I saw them at MACNA and they sure looked sweet. But if you plan on changing both the lighting and the sump area then maybe you should consider something else, like a finnex nano.

I would do a search on Manhattanreefs.com.

There is one thread that is dedicated to this tank.

I think for the money though you could do better by purchasing individual components and creating a much more custom system.

i have not seen it running yet. you could check nanocustoms.com i believe they make retrofits for the red sea max.if i am not mistaken they do refugiums, lighting, and skimmers. but if you want all that stuff for the prize i would look into the finnex.

Nice and expensive setup! I know someone who purchase a new RedSea Max at the LFS in CT. very happy with the setup. But its like everything you buy in this hobby, sometimes you need to custom or taylor to your satisfaction.

What did you want to know about it jerseydiablo?

I can pretty much answer any questions for you on it.

Carlo

JohnS_323 said:
Hey Ed, I found this over on our "remote for sale forum"

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1224574

Just thought I'd pass it along.

Thanks John, awesome price on that! Gonna try to work something out with him

panmanmatt said:
Carlo said:
What did you want to know about it jerseydiablo?

I can pretty much answer any questions for you on it.

Carlo

Do you have one set up and running?

Ditto, I'd just like to see one up and running is all. And any suggestions on modding it would be cool.

Where in NJ are you?

If you arent too far from Philly there are 2 near here that are up and running.

One is at Big Als in Norristown, PA. Mostly softies and zoas, but I dont think it makes the system look good because they built the rock too high in the middle and it blocks a lot of the light.

At Pets Plus in Langhorne, PA (exit 44 of I-95N)they have one set up that looks amazing. Typical rock wall in the back with softies, zoas, LPS and even a crocea near the top (though likely not an ideal lighting system for the clam long term).

Modifications that come to mind are the same as with almost every All-In-One tank: More light and the addition of a refugium

I dont know what the back wall of the filtration compartment is made of. If its glass with a plastic coating (like the JBJ Nanocube) then its a simple mod to remove the plastic covering on the back wall and place an external light source...then use the large middle chamber as a refugium.

For lighting you can check out www.nanocustoms.com for a lighting upgrade kit. Expensive (close to $450 for the 150w HQI MH and PC supplement) but worth it if you want this tank to "do it all". I have ordered from nanocustoms in the past and I highly recommend them...in fact there are few negative comments about them if you search the boards (Reefcentral, Nanoreef, etc).

I thinks the RSM is a nice little system if you want softies and LPS AND like the streamlined look. I think you can do MORE with a typical 30g cube or 37g column...and for less money.

For instance a 37g column (20" x 18" x 24") with stand will cost you $200.00. Now add a heater, Remora Skimmer, 2 Koralia #1, MH pendant and you are closing in on the cost of the RSM.

My only worry about the RSM would be a "what if". What if the protein skimmer craps out, or even worse, what if the electrical system shorts out? Its all built in and Im not sure how easy it would be to repair/replace.

I got a buddy a couple of blocks away that has the Red Sea. If Bordentown is close let me know and I'll see what I can do.

These are my opinion only. You can disagree if you like. :)

The lights that come with the RedSea or JBL nano cubes are just fine for growing anything including acros & clams. I don't see the point in upgrading them myself. Halides just aren't needed on that shallow a tank. I'd rather not deal with any additional heat issues from add on lights either.

I don't think converting a back section into a refugium is the best use of space either. Instead of trying to pull nutrients out of the water after they already exist as nitrates and phosphates you could use the same space for other chemical or biological processes that would be more efficient and pull the organics out of the water before they have a chance to break down.

Carlo

Carlo said:
I got a buddy a couple of blocks away that has the Red Sea. If Bordentown is close let me know and I'll see what I can do.

These are my opinion only. You can disagree if you like. :)

The lights that come with the RedSea or JBL nano cubes are just fine for growing anything including acros & clams. I don't see the point in upgrading them myself. Halides just aren't needed on that shallow a tank. I'd rather not deal with any additional heat issues from add on lights either.

I don't think converting a back section into a refugium is the best use of space either. Instead of trying to pull nutrients out of the water after they already exist as nitrates and phosphates you could use the same space for other chemical or biological processes that would be more efficient and pull the organics out of the water before they have a chance to break down.

Carlo

I think that you can indeed get away with some higher light critters near the top, but the RSM only has 54w of true white light. Im not certain that clams and SPS would do well under that...at least not anywhere but at the very top.

I have owned a few all-in-one tanks and IME the best use of the rear chambers has always been a refugium. Easily contained, very easy to light externally (less heat transfer to the tank) and easy to maintain.

My buddy had tri. & max. clams on the sand bed in his RSM for months as he had no room on the rocks for them. They were fine.

I've got a large sunset monti and a few sticks (acros) in my kids JBL 24g and they are doing just fine too. Some of the sticks are down low too.

It's a personal thing but I feel most people put to much emphasis on lights. Light is only one part of the coral puzzle and there are 2 other pieces of the puzzle that are just as important if not more IMHO. Very Good Water Circulation & Water Quality - very low dissolved inorganic nutrients (nitrates, phosphates & DOC) but very RICH in a variety of ORGANIC NUTRIENTS like zooplankton, phytoplankton, detritus, algae, bacteria, aminos, vitamins, etc. The water quality is also stable with all ions in the correct ratios with no bouncing around of parameters (like alkalinity).

I've always found I can keep just about anything under lights most people would frown upon. I even use 6.5K 'spot lights" on some tanks and regular shop light strips over other tanks with a couple 25 watt T8s. Heck on my 30" reef I'm only running 150 10K and 175 20K watt halides and can grow stuff faster then some people with big 400 and 1000 watt halides. I believe the key is when the water parameters are in check you can feed heavier. If the coral has more natural food available to it then the intensity of lights is not as important as it doesn't rely on it to produce it's needed food supply.

I definitely don't agree with the refugium at least not for macro algae purposes on a nano. Again this is just my opinion but the space isn't large enough to grow enough macro algae to really do anything. You have what maybe 16 square inches of surface area in one of the chambers if you are lucky. That's not really enough to do anything with from a nutrient export mechanism standpoint. You still need to rely on water changes to keep your parameters (IE nitrates) in check. On my 24g nano I figure I've got about 20 gallons of water in it. I change out exactly 1 gallon each week with fresh salt water (5% water change) and have zero nitrates and phosphates while feeding the fish and corals pretty heavy. Instead of "wasting" the space on macro algae I stuff that area with choice media that removes the dissolved organics before they have a chance to break down into nitrates and phosphates. I also build that area up so it's a bacteria heaven so anything that doesn't get removed right away will get broken down and processed by the bacteria.

Now if you are using the refugium for pods and other fauna that is needed for a particular fish in there then that's another story completely. :)

Carlo

I've got a Red Sea Max. It's been up for about 4 months now. A huge switch from the large SPS system I once had! It's a nice setup and worth the money for a plug and play reef system. The skimmer works well for what it is. The only complaint I have about it so far is the hood is very tight fitting and the cooling fans are not sufficient so it has the tendency to warm up a little. Needs more flow too. I put my Ecotech impellar pump on the side and run it very slow. This helped a lot.

I'd be more than happy to let anyone see it up and running if interested. Just let me know... I'm in the Trenton area.