• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

RedSand 3 strikes your out!!!!!!

Well I have tried 5 times to go to RedSand, and today was the 3rd time I got there and the doors were locked (hell Feng even had a "yes wrere open sign" in the window). It continues to amaze me how these and other small bussinesses can survive when they are so poorly run. Although Feng is a super nice guy and has great corals and prices. I fear his store will go the way of Bob's (Eagle Reefs). As a small bussiness owner myself, I know that In these economic times, you have to do things better and smarter now, more than ever before.
Now i'm sure somebody is going to come on hear and with all there brilliance ask "why did'nt you call first"?
Well for one thing if i was coming from home (over an hour away) knowing this guys track record I would have. Fortunately I was only about 5 minutes away and thought I would stop in and get some food and perhaps some other trinkets. You would think that at 2 p.m. in the afternoon, 2 days before christmas he would be open just for gift certificates.
One thing for sure,
I could have driven another 20 minutes down the road to OCG and they would have been open
I could have driven anothe 35 minutes down the road and Pet Shanty would have been open
I could have driven another 2 hours to Absolutely Fish and they would have been open

I go there. It's very close to my house. I've picked up nice frags and he treat me well. One problem is the parking.

i've been irked by the same issue, the first 2 times i went to the store he wasn't open, it is a hassle, and not the way to run a business, i'm not saying that it will make him not be successful, he does have quite a following, and because of the fact that in the state of nj there are probably not much more than a dozen quality sw lfs... but he could certainly be more successful if he was more consistant.... if a business makes store hours, unless there is some sort of unforeseeable calamity, you should be there.... i understand that he is a "nice guy" but this seems to be a very common occurence..

I've gone to the store and a few times he has had to run and pick up his nephew and i ended up waiting 30 mins. Also i do believe feng lives above the store. I know he also does aquarium service he may have been doing that at the time as well. Either way IMHO i don't think bashing does any good sometimes things come up in life. He does have very good prices and his live stock is usually very good quality. And yes i think he should have a little more consistent schedule but what can you do. Next time call ahead and there wont be any worries.

malulu

NJRC Member
Re: RedSand - 3 strikes - your out? Ok, next time i will call 1st - 917-502-9649

like Jabis96 said, Feng is running a one man store...

most of the time he would be there, and from time to time, his aquarium service customer(s) call him for urgent services, he then need to run out right away...

not saying this is right for being not able to keep his store hours in check, but i would forgive him for such "cons" compared to all the "pros" he got to offers.

i would highly recommended to "always" call him first! he highly recommend customers to call on his cell phone anyway...
here is his cell # 917-502-9649 in case anyone else needs it.

we would hope all small business can stay alive to benefit all of us...

Just tell Feng that you were there 3 times while the store supposed to be open but closed... i am sure he will make it up to you some how...
;D

Merry X'mas and Happy New Year to come! Cheers!

[Edit]
sorry, can't help to edit the title of this subject...
;D

i just hope you change the titles of all the posts that bash, not just the ones that bash ur buddies. i mean did the origional poster say anything untrue, or anything that wasn't backed up numerous times by the experiences of others? it was honest feedback was it not? and i wouldn't even consider it a bash. but retailer experiences should not be edited unless they are clearly untrue or over the line... but with that said i still stop into red sand if i'm in the imediate vecinity and it's convenient with nothing to lose if he's not there.

I don't know about the whole issue with the individual complaints about the store being closed...
But I must say I've been going there for over a year..
And not one time has the store been closed..
And I personally go on different days and at different hours..
I must say Feng is a great store owner to just hang and BS with and gather advice...
Nice store,small but I feel he is alsways doing things to improve....
Nice selection.... and some nice custom tanks.....
I think everybody should at least hit up his store and check it out....
And he always throws a deal in once and awhile if your bring kids or wives/ Girlfriends (LOL!!! He Loves that)...

I didn't realize this was an issue. I live about an hour away and each of the 3 times I've been there he was open. He also went well out of his way to spend time with me helping me out. I guess I'll call before I head out, but I do know that I'll be a loyal customer for a long time.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
He only changed HIS subject, not all of the posts above him. Life around here would be CRAZY if we could go around changing each others' post titles!!

i don't think anyone has an issue with him when he's there during the listed hours of operation. but as we all know from the jobs we work. part of service is being there when you advertise that you will be.... maybe he should advertise general times he may be available and insist on a call to make sure noone gets disappointed... i think it crucial to this hobby that we support EVERY lfs that makes a dedicated commitment to the preservation of ocean life and the advancemet of knowledge for those willing to learn. feng certainly is a fantastic example of just such an individual, he cares alot and is very informative, and is a genuinly nice person. i believe that is why those that share similar experiences feel frustrations about this, i think we all want the dozen or so lfs that this club supports, and that support this club to be around for the benefit of everyone involved for the forseeable future.

sorry, saw that... sorry for jumping to conclusions malulu.. and feng if you see this, as you can see we really do like you, and love red sand.... just don't like wasted trips...

malulu

NJRC Member
Re: RedSand - 3 strikes - your out? Ok, next time i will call 1st - 917-502-9649

REEFLECTIONS,

No worries... although this is way past the X'mas eve's drinking party... I am still sober enough to know from right and wrong to NOT changed other's posting subject. (only suggesting with mine)...
;)

I had been in the same situation before when RedSand was supposed to be open, but not...

after that, I always call ahead...
:D

Well it certainly looks like I stirred up the pot a bit. I had intended to keep my mouth shut and let the rest of the story die without telling it in the orginal post, but after seeing that some people here have decided to make me the villian and Feng the victim I guess I should chime in.

First off in no way should anybody in our hobby not do business with Feng! He has just about the best coral selection and prices around! In no way was I inconveinced by him, like I said in the orginal post I was in the area (VERY CLOSE) shopping with my wife. I knew it was a crap shoot from past experiences wether he would be open or not, but the wife had heard me talk about Red Sand in the past and wanted to see his "L" shaped tank. So now the rest of the story.

When my wife and I walked up to the door we tried to open it and seen that it was locked (again sign on the door said yes were open). We then peaked in the window hoping to see if Feng was around. Well from behind the counter a boy no older than 7 or 8 years old came to the door (I am assuming it was his son). He then proceeded to shout at us threw the door at the top of his voice "THIS STORE IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED". I then asked him when his dad would be back (thinking that the wife and I would circle back later on the way home. He again shouted "THIS STORE IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED". Well my wife and I just looked at each other laughed shook our heads and walked away. Again at that point it was no big deal to me or the wifey, it was more funny then anything else.

Now it would seem to me that if you really valued your customers, you would show some them some courtesy and put up a sign saying your sorry for any inconveince and when you will be re-opening. But I guess these days having a 8 year old shouting at 2 grown adults is considered a good bussiness practice. I certainly understand that Feng is a one man band, but would'nt it make sense to pick a block of time during the days that he is open and just stay at the store say 1-2 or 5-6 whatever just pick a time and live by it.

Well this villian has said his peaace, I think I hear the wife calling me to run over to quick chek and get some milk for my daughter.....Hmmmm I wonder if I should call first and see if they will be open or "TEMPORARILY CLOSED"

I called Red Sand store #, no answer. However I did reach Feng on his cell # 917-502-9649. I am dropping by and wanted to make sure he's there since I live 45 minutes away. He said he is open today 11 to 8PM. He also said if no one is in the store to call his cell as he lives upstairs. Now, THAT'S customer service:) See you soon Feng!