• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reef clean up crew advise

Hey so I upgraded my tank from 35 to 75 gallons. During my move and while at two different locations I have lost my crew and some coral to high salinity and lack of supervision. I am looking to purchase a clean up crew from online. I am interested in the reefcleaners.org 75 gallon crew. I know that there are other websites but can anybody tell me what their opinion is on that site or others. Maybe even what are some good crew members?

reefcleaners is an excellent site. They usually give a lot of snails too. Reefcleaners is definitely number one for a clean up crew. Some good crew members would be ceriths, nassarius, turbos, limpets, chitons, and conches.

I ordered from reefcleaners recently. Was great. Everything showed up alive, mostly. I mean I ordered 25 dwarf ceriths, but there was like 50 of them, maybe 10 were empties/dead, so no big deal. Everything else was fine. If you want some tips on what to get, send a message to reefcleaners. John will respond quickly and will give you advice on what is compatible or best for your tank. There's also pretty good descriptions of each item on their site, which will tell you what each item will eat, etc. Everything on their site, to my knowledge, is reef-safe, aside from the occasional mantis shrimp they throw up there.

I've always thought of "cleaners" to be a description of what they eat rather than a job they'll do for you. So from that, you'd just get the livestock within that scope that is interesting to you. Different ones may eat algae, leftover feed or detrius. I'd steer towards what interests. Goby/shrimp combo is cool. There are a lot of interesting hermits. Limpids are unusual compared to traditional snails. Mini brittles. Etc.

I've always thought of "cleaners" to be a description of what they eat rather than a job they'll do for you. So from that, you'd just get the livestock within that scope that is interesting to you. Different ones may eat algae, leftover feed or detrius. I'd steer towards what interests. Goby/shrimp combo is cool. There are a lot of interesting hermits. Limpids are unusual compared to traditional snails. Mini brittles. Etc.
I agree I will pick up different snails when I see them at AO or where I might be. Diversity is good and fun.

howze01

NJRC Member
If you go with Reefcleaners, I would order a package smaller than the tank you are stocking. For my 50g I set up I got a 30g package and it was MORE than enough with all the extras I got. I also went for an all snail package. I got so tired of seeing the Hermits stealing food out of my corals mouths....

If you go with Reefcleaners, I would order a package smaller than the tank you are stocking. For my 50g I set up I got a 30g package and it was MORE than enough with all the extras I got. I also went for an all snail package. I got so tired of seeing the Hermits stealing food out of my corals mouths....

x2
to give you perspective, I'm looking at the 55g package for my 90 & it'll probably be overkill.

Thanks for the tip on getting a smaller package, i thought that the 75 package seem too much. Instead I went with the 40 breeder. Should come in early next week. It's awesome that they also have free delivery and 5$off. Thanks everybody for the feedback.