• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reef Cleaners ???

radiata

NJRC Member
Has anyone here ever ordered inverts from Reef Cleaners (Tank Cleaners - Reef Cleaners)?

I literally stumbled across their site an hour ago, and I've spent the last hour poking around there (and another hour writing this review).
They've really impressed me with:
~ a large selection
~ decent prices
~ unusual honesty, such as
"... and while they may provide some filtration benefits to your aquarium we carry them mainly for curiosity purposes. "​
"... requires special care and is not suited for most tanks. "​
"... we do not recommend them unless you have a tank 30 gallons or larger."​
"... wide overflow slots and drains without somewhat fine mesh are likely to be traps for ..."​
"They are not a cost effective cleaner, but they look nice."​
~ and, they have Money Cowries - one of my favorite CUCs that is strangely not often available at your LFS. They seem to last for years in my DT.

I'm looking forward to placing an order with them!

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Yeah I use them. Reef cleaners is the real deal. They have the largest selection of clean up crew at a very low price.

I personally have never had a problem with them.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I’ve used RC a few times . Prices are good and they usually overship inverts to compensate for shipping loss. I’ve always had a good experience with exception of my last order, which was at the end of winter, where I had over a 50% doa. In contacting John I had a 50% refund in about a week.

How honest a writeup is this?
Bumble Bee Snails (Engina mendicaria) are tiny snails that are likely to consume sessile invertebrates in your aquarium. We would not consider them reef safe, some people do. Lately people have been requesting them to take care of vermetid worms so we began carrying them for a limited time. We are unsure if they will work for that purpose. If they do work for you please let us know. Grows to 0.75 inches.

I will buy from them. Thanks!

My last two purchases from them were about a 50% loss and just shy of 100% loss both along arrival and both taken from the carriers hands so no sitting on porch time.
The kost recent also had several item that were flat out not even included in the order. Jon at reefcleaners is about the most disrespectful person I've ever spoken to. Even after meeting almost all his demands for refund. I say almost all because he wanted pictures of item he didn't ship and told me no pics no refund. After a couple of days of back and fourth I just went to PayPal and let them handle it. Once them forced his hand he called me and told me that he is begrudgingly giving the refund and that I dont deserve it. But PayPal is making him do it.
As far as I'm co concerned him and his business can go down in flames. And if you really dive into recent reviews on other forums you see its heading that way.

I have only ever had good experiences with Reef Cleaners - I have had some DOAs and items mis-sent items over the years, but was always refunded promptly and without hassle. I will say I'd be leery of ordering right now, because he ships via USPS and they have not been very reliable this year. My first order this year was shipped on Tuesday for Thursday delivery and wasn't delivered until the following Monday. So I paid for the upgraded shipping on my next order, and it was better, but still delayed by the post office.

I do think that his cleaner packages way overestimate the amount of clean up crew most tanks need though, so I'd avoid those and just pick what you need.

Just got my CUC from Reef Cleaners on Wednesday. I would say maybe 20 perent die but they always ship extra.

I stopped ordering them for exactly that reason lol. I don't want to have sort through and figure out which 20% is dead. An empty shell and a hermit/snail whose hiding look very similar. Meanwhile, they're just melting in your tank, releasing ammonia :eek:

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
It's been hit n miss with me, I've had some bad/dead macros sent to me on previous orders and I've also dealt with the postal service loosing my package. In the end John came through and made it right for me, with pretty much no questions asked.

I have always used Reeftopia and never experienced the amount of doa folks are reporting with Reef Cleaners. I just got an order last week and was very happy with it.