• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reef Fish that are not Jumpers?

Ask qwik, he has had many clowns jump. The only fish that can't jump is a seahorse. I have had gobies, hawkfish, and jawfish (no suprise) jump. I have read on here of clowns, angels, and wrasses jumping. That really doesn't leave you with much.

As I mentioned, I am talking about the regular known jumpers i.e. you would not consider them in a tank that did not have a canopy.

For fish that are know as jumpers jawfish and wrasses are the worst. I have seen wrasses jump in the fish store. For non reef safe, eels will find any hole to get out of your tank. An octopus would also fall into the category of not reef safe but needs the lid locked down.

Sorry, I reversed my question which is not what I wanted.

I want the fish people are keeping with open top aquariums with regular success.

The ones that are not likely to carpet surf in the short term.

I have had a clown jump before, but I would still consider it a good fish for an open top.

There will be examples of almost every type of fish that has jumped one time or another, but it is still a fish you would keep in an open top.

These are the type of fish I am interested in hearing about.

We have a 20g with an open top and a 30g with an open top.

In the 20G:
three juvenile tank-bred bengaii cardinals
one african flameback angel, about 1.5-2"

things that have jumped from the 20G in the past 12 months:
longnose hawk
dracula goby
4 cleaner gobys (two sharknose, two regular blue & black- yes, i have now stopped buying these)
clown goby

In the 30G:
pair of picaso clowns (male about 2", female about 2.5")
flame angel (about 3"- boy it grew fast!)
pistol shirmp and goby pair (goby about 4.5" long)
two gold assessor basselts (1" and 2" each)
one female mandarin dragonet (nearly 3" long)

things that have jumped from the 30G in the past 12 months:
1 bluespotted jawfish
1 gold assessor basslet
1 neon dottyback
1 half blue damsel (this guy we found before he died, he is currently living in a COVERED tank)

I have no canopy:

The fish that jumped:
Pearly jawfish (first day).
Female Clownfish (no idea why this happened, recovered her and she is fine - laid two batches of eggs since).

The fish that have NOT jumped in over 12 months:
yellow coris wrasse
firefish
pearly jawfish

That's really interesting nikki on the cleaner goby. I always thought mine just was cleaned up by my cuc. Now maybe I should take a better look around...

Thank you Nikki and Hawkeye, that is exactly what I was looking for.

I would love if others can share their experiences.

Here are some fish I have kept so far that have not been what I consider jumpers.

Percula clowns - I have had a jumper, but that was one time. The others have never tried.

Yellow Tail Damsel

Green Mandarin

Royal Gramma

Flame Hawkfish

Orchid Dottyback

Yellow Tang

Blue/Green Chromis just jumped after about 4 months.

The one jumper I purchased was a Tiger Watchman Goby. This was on the carpet the next day.

I will say without a doubt clownfish and jawfish like to jump,not all of them but enough for me to put them on a list . I have found that with really thin fishing line and a weight you can make a rig that keeps any fish in a tank and is really not all that visable. Of course you have to adjust the amount of weight to the size of the fish,hope this helps.

The key isn't what fish jump or don't but what fish you have that are chasers....I don't see my hippo jumping because nothing else changes him. My clown jumped...female chased him been OK for last 6 months since rescue, my angel jumped, a shark nosed goby jumped.

The more peaceful your tank the less likely it is to have jumpers.

I was wondering if anyone keeps Purple Firefish with an open top ??? How many do you keep in how many gallons? I would love to have them in my open top 65gal tank. I think I can have three.

I read that they are really bad jumpers but I just saw them in PetsPlus in a small tank with a lot of different fish with an open top. The manager told me that they don't have a problem with jumping. He said they will not jump if you have plenty of rock. Any ideas? ???

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Firefish are known jumpers especially if you have aggressive fish in the tank with them. If they get chased they will probably jump.

JRWOHLER said:
The key isn't what fish jump or don't but what fish you have that are chasers....I don't see my hippo jumping because nothing else changes him.

Do you think coral beauty will be chasing firefish? ??? She is chasing green chromis pretty badly. All the other fish just ignore her. :)

JRWOHLER said:
The key isn't what fish jump or don't but what fish you have that are chasers....I don't see my hippo jumping because nothing else changes him. My clown jumped...female chased him been OK for last 6 months since rescue, my angel jumped, a shark nosed goby jumped.

The more peaceful your tank the less likely it is to have jumpers.

I understand, but my criteria is, which fish will not jump if they are not chased.

There are some fish that can be the lone fish in the tank, and they will still jump.