• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reef Fish that are not Jumpers?

Dave said:
JRWOHLER said:
The key isn't what fish jump or don't but what fish you have that are chasers....I don't see my hippo jumping because nothing else changes him. My clown jumped...female chased him been OK for last 6 months since rescue, my angel jumped, a shark nosed goby jumped.

The more peaceful your tank the less likely it is to have jumpers.

I understand, but my criteria is, which fish will not jump if they are not chased.

There are some fish that can be the lone fish in the tank, and they will still jump.

In my experience I have never seen a fish jump that was not spooked for some reason.

I have a pair of small maroon clowns. One of them was in a sump every day :eek: until I got a BTA for him. I only had a blenny and three cromis. They did not chase clowns but still male clown would jump all the time. I used to spend hours trying to get him out of there. Luckily since I bought BTA he stays inside.

Dave said:
JRWOHLER said:
The key isn't what fish jump or don't but what fish you have that are chasers....I don't see my hippo jumping because nothing else changes him. My clown jumped...female chased him been OK for last 6 months since rescue, my angel jumped, a shark nosed goby jumped.

The more peaceful your tank the less likely it is to have jumpers.

I understand, but my criteria is, which fish will not jump if they are not chased.

There are some fish that can be the lone fish in the tank, and they will still jump.

Sorry you didn't include that that I saw.

whitebear1020 said:
I was wondering if anyone keeps Purple Firefish with an open top ??? How many do you keep in how many gallons? I would love to have them in my open top 65gal tank. I think I can have three.

I read that they are really bad jumpers but I just saw them in PetsPlus in a small tank with a lot of different fish with an open top. The manager told me that they don't have a problem with jumping. He said they will not jump if you have plenty of rock. Any ideas? ???

I have a regular firefish in an open 120. When spooked the firefish runs for his home. Ideally everyone sets up a "bolt" hole for the firefish if they decide on one. Every night at the same time it heads for this home. No one bothers it.