• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reef Growth way too slow Need Advice

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
test like 5 times honestly, I hate API kits lol but I would get some phosguard in a small bag, go with half the recommended amount and test again in 12 hours and then test again after another 12 hours. Phosgaurd exhaust pretty quickly but if you put too much it'll strip your tank.
so i wanna keep some phosphates? or get rid of them all?

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I'd focus on the phosphates at the moment, definitely follow the directions with phosgaurd. it's potent and go slow. I'd recommend a water change too

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
anything can kill your tank bro, especially since it such a small water volume and enough phosgaurd will strip your tank of phosphates, ask me how I know. lol

with the nanos Ive had luck with chemipure blue packs, chuck in 2 every 30days...filter floss, no skimmer. I also have 2 chinese shower rods in the back. Weekly 40 percent water change. livestock is just zoas and lps but its easy and grows. Sps is going to need more love.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
If you add the phosguard, and purigen plus matrix....at the same time, that could be a bad thing too.

If it were me, I'd exhaust the purigen (when it turns brown) toss that and swap out the matrix for regular carbon. Then use the phosguard. Place in your filter to get that "passive" flow.

I also have been running a nano for less than 2 month 20g with a HOB filter and a HOB skimmer. The skimmer is a cheap 50g rated Amazon special, but it does pull out a good amount of organic debris. The HOB runs filter floss 24/7 changed/rinsed at least weekly and chemical filtration including charcoal most frequently and purigen for nitrates/ phosguard for phosphate, as needed and then pulled). If me, I would do a 100% water change, one of the advantages of a nanotank. Make sure temp and salinity match. The sudden improvement in bad and good parameters will be a little shocking, but everything you have looks like it will handle and will definitley appreciate the better water.

hey guys my test kit came in and i tested my water my phosphates at 1.0-1.5 ppm is that too high? do i need to get a phosguard?

Since it's only a 10 gallon I would do a 5 gallon water change then like 2 days later I would do another 5 gallon water change. That should knock it down. Maybe think about a hang on the back refugium with some cheato in it.

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
be careful if you go the phosguard route. it's a great product and it does what it's designed for very effectively. with that small of a tank if not used correct, it could completely strip your phosphate very fast. @iTzJu i know this first hand also.

Since it's only a 10 gallon I would do a 5 gallon water change then like 2 days later I would do another 5 gallon water change. That should knock it down. Maybe think about a hang on the back refugium with some cheato in it.

i agree with @Mrx7899x , that size of a tank you should be able to control your nutrients via water changes.

One thing to take in consideration is that you are using Reef Crystals and this salt mix has high Alk. If you do large water changes to lower your phosphate then you will raise your Alk.
I’d use phosguard for couple of days, Test water to check how fast the phosphate is decreasing and depending the result remove the phosguard or run it for a little longer.

As other have mentioned try to get Hanna checkers or better quality water tester than API.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
thanks for the input guys i got some phosguard ima use a very small amount in a filter sock with my matrix only gonna take out the purigen for now

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
well i got the phosguard saturday cut the bag in half resealed it only using half of a small bag did about 30% water change and took out my purigen put in a new bag of matrix tested phosphates yesterday around 5:00pm around 1.0 atm tested it 3 times will test today

Sounds like good moves, get the ATO set up solid and do the water changes. As mentioned take time to get your salinity and temperature correct before switching the water. With a weekly good sized water change your going to see good growth by Christmas if you can keep from messing with it. We all suffer from these issues. If you start getting crazy with the nano you can look into an entry level controller (apex lite). This furthered my stability with the nanos. As you know people take it to crazy levels, fuges, chaeto reactors etc. Good luck guy, post some pics.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Sounds like good moves, get the ATO set up solid and do the water changes. As mentioned take time to get your salinity and temperature correct before switching the water. With a weekly good sized water change your going to see good growth by Christmas if you can keep from messing with it. We all suffer from these issues. If you start getting crazy with the nano you can look into an entry level controller (apex lite). This furthered my stability with the nanos. As you know people take it to crazy levels, fuges, chaeto reactors etc. Good luck guy, post some pics.
Working on it! Trying to keep the tank in the same position as much as possible did a nice water change same temp on tank and bucket water so on the right track salt at 1,025 so no major changes

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
These got taken yesterday looking sharp atm

Attachments

• 4EF33730-0CDC-4FC4-8CB1-8C450A6B7BCD.jpeg
    4EF33730-0CDC-4FC4-8CB1-8C450A6B7BCD.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 487BD547-3BC9-4922-9B42-36586B3FA48D.jpeg
    487BD547-3BC9-4922-9B42-36586B3FA48D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 128B3006-2CD6-477B-BFC8-8640854BDA5F.jpeg
    128B3006-2CD6-477B-BFC8-8640854BDA5F.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 2605068C-5738-47C2-819B-98C251C862A6.jpeg
    2605068C-5738-47C2-819B-98C251C862A6.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
hey guys quick question so ive been having some trouble keeping my PH decent today it dropped under 7.8 had it tested at my lab so my testers are top of the line was wondering is there any thing i can do to keep it up around 8,1 i was told to keep dosing Seachem marine buffer than was told itll raise my alk way too high my alk is around 7/8 atm so wouldnt hurt atm but trying to find a permanent fix for this crap any advice is good advice

Not many ways to raise ph if you had a skimmer you could use a co2 scrubber. kalk will raise it also you can drip it or use it with an ato. Ph of 7.8 is not horrible coral will definitely grow better with a higher ph but it's not that big of a deal.