• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Reef octopus extreme 250 needle wheel and mesh

Hey guys, I bought my skimmer as a Christmas gift and I love it so far.
One thing, I see all of these crazy mods to use the mesh and other pinwheel but there seems to be no easy solution.

Is there any cut and dry way to make use of the mesh W/O cutting, braking parts etc?

Erid
you should look in RC as they have numerous forums/threads dealing with these issues. they have specific threads for Octo skimmers. god luck.

You have the Sicce pump on it right? I got the purple needle wheel for mine in the group buy, currently I have the mesh mod. I will try to show the difference between the two and also let you know the sound difference. You have the white needle wheel?

The mesh should out perform the purple needle wheel.

Erid if you back in my thread, I modded my Sicci pumps and showed the process in pics.

Here's the mesh mod pics.

This is the mod I did for the original Sedra pump ...

120gImpelercut.jpg

120gcutmesh.jpg

120gzipmesh.jpg

120gmeshinstalled.jpg

120gfoamside.jpg

And here's the Sicci impeler mod ...

siccimodimpelervolute.jpg

siccimodimpeler.jpg

siccimodmeshedimpeler.jpg

With any pump the trick is cutting down the original impeller, attaching the mesh and then trimming it so the pump starts and runs free. It's a great mod!

I agree should be the most volume but there are two problems noise and starting. If for a small volume of air I get a quieter/easier starting pump I will stick with the PPW.

Thanks guys. Yep I have the sicci pump. Never opened it up to look at the color of the stock unit.

Bax, that's great thanks! I'll just grab the smallest zip ties I can find and get it done tomorrow. ;) Just stagger the patterns on the three layers of mesh and zip em down right?

JRWOHLER said:
I agree should be the most volume but there are two problems noise and starting. If for a small volume of air I get a quieter/easier starting pump I will stick with the PPW.

Yes, but be sure to trim enough mesh. If you trim it right, it should start everytime, draw less watts, and more air. It's not a huge difference in air, but it does reduce the watt draw too. The mesh also produces finner, denser bubbles.

erid said:
Thanks guys. Yep I have the sicci pump. Never opened it up to look at the color of the stock unit.

Bax, that's great thanks! I'll just grab the smallest zip ties I can find and get it done tomorrow. ;) Just stagger the patterns on the three layers of mesh and zip em down right?

Look at the yellow wheel in the second set of pics, and yes, use the smallest zips you can find. And trim it tight to the wheel.

One negative about the mesh is that they'll go suddenly. I've had meshed wheels last over six months and I've had them last six weeks. I think it's cause the mesh is so variable.

How do you get this Sicci pump apart guys? I feel like I'm about break it.
Also, how many layers of mesh? 1?

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Erid

A fellow reefer(Dan)developed a tool that makes it easy. I don't have a camera handy so I'll try and describe it. You need a piece of 2" diameter pvc about 6" long. Take the pvc and place the end over the cover. Use a maker and mark where the 3 'fins' make contact with the cover. Cut out slots where you made the marks (so the fins fit into the slots and the tool slides down onto the cover). Now on the opposite end of the pipe drill a hole through the side of it and out the other side. The hole will be used to pass a screwdriver through to give you leverage for turning the tool.

Bob

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
magic said:
Erid

A fellow reefer(Dan)developed a tool that makes it easy. I don't have a camera handy so I'll try and describe it. You need a piece of 2" diameter pvc about 6" long. Take the pvc and place the end over the cover. Use a maker and mark where the 3 'fins' make contact with the cover. Cut out slots where you made the marks (so the fins fit into the slots and the tool slides down onto the cover). Now on the opposite end of the pipe drill a hole through the side of it and out the other side. The hole will be used to pass a screwdriver through to give you leverage for turning the tool.

Bob

Better yet I found the post http://www.njreefers.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=21658.msg194238#msg194238

Bob